Sunday, February 26, 2006

Idol Thoughts

I know I'm a little late, but what are you gonna do? The top 12 is going to be Mandisa, Kellie, Ayla, Paris, Katharine, Lisa, Taylor, Ace, Chris, Elliot, Bucky or Sway, depending who royally screws up in the next 2 weeks, and one of the jailbait group, hopefully Will. I've found myself being very meh about the girls and liking the guys, which means I'm playing into Idol's machinations, which makes me want to cry. Here are my updated thoughts.
  • Robert Bennett, Jr. - Eh. He knew he was going home and had fun with it. More power to him. And hell, I like "Copacabana" better than most of the songs other people sang.
  • Kevin Covais - Sorry Rusty, but I just can't like this kid.
  • Bucky Covington - I still loves me some Bucky, but he needs to sing his songs straight and not try to sound rough. If you've got the voice, you can carry Skynyrd without trying to sound like you just smoked a carton of Marlboro Reds and gave head to a cement mixer.
  • Chris Daughtry - Why are you yelling at me? What did I ever do to you? He's a one-trick pony, and best fits my preferred genre, but he's no Bo.
  • Patrick Hall - Well, that was ill-advised. My theory on Melissa Ethridge is that her voice is cool and unique, but not necessarily good in a traditional way, and signing a song like that prettily doesn't work.
  • Taylor Hicks - He got points for singing Elton John.
  • William Makar - Still love this kid. Seems unpretentious. When I realized how creepy it was for a 16-year-old to be singing "I Want You Back" it made me really realize how creepy it was for a 5-year-old to be singing it.
  • Gedeon McKinney - This guy talks like he just learned how to speak English and is reading cue cards. I like "Shout" but I don't like this guy. It doesn't matter though, since he'll be gone soon.
  • "Sway" Penala - Just no.
  • David Radford - Dave pisses me off, because as I said to Rusty, he reminds me of the guys from my high school who took swing lessons and were smug and thought they were really cool when, in fact, they were not.
  • Elliot Yamin - I like him enough, but I won't be sad when he goes.
  • "Ace" Young - This boy knows exactly how to play the game (see "Father Figure") and he does it well. Arguably one of the best song choices in the history of the show. If I had a dollar for every comment I read about "I'll be your daddy," I wouldn't have to go in to work on Monday, but he's still an innocent, apple-cheeked, boy-bander. Well played, Mr. Young. He's got the Constantine stare down but doesn't make me feel like I need to take a shower with bleach afterwards. Also, I hope his brother is unemployed, because he needs to be in the audience every week.
  • Paris Bennett - Good singer, seems likeable, will begin to annoy the hell out of me shortly.
  • Ayla Brown - Don't like her; seems snobby, although she did a good job on Tuesday.
  • Heather Cox - Of all the songs that you could possibly sing, why in the name of all that is good and holy would you pick "When You Tell Me That You Love Me?" I'm baffled. I was asleep during her performance anyway though.
  • Brenna Gethers - She doesn't annoy me as much as she should. She's playing the game too, just not as well as Ace.
  • Mandisa Hundley - I like Mandisa, but I'm not into the soulful ballads that I know she's going to end up singing.
  • Melissa McGhee - I slept through her performance too, so I still have no clue about her, but she won't be in the top 12 anyway.
  • Katharine McPhee - See Paris Bennett.
  • Becky O'Donahue - I retract my skank comment from earlier. Sure, she was in Maxim, but she seems nice enough. I love "Because the Night" (both versions, although she was singing Patty Smith's*) and don't think she did too poorly. She was smiling during the song in her send-off which I didn't like, but I can forgive her because she was probably trying to hide her disappointment.
  • Kellie Pickler - HAAATE. I also heard reports that she told the chefs at the hotel that they're lucky to be cooking for her.
  • Stevie Scott - Too bad you didn't sing it Tuesday night like you did Thursday night, although you still wouldn't be in the top 12.
  • Kinnik Sky - Slept through her performance.
  • Lisa Tucker - Slept through her performance, but she's a bot. No 16-year-old is like that.
I like the new layout of being able to see the people in the product-placement room while their peers are performing. Some people really got into each other's performances.

That group sing was...strange... Way to pimp the guys, AI. I hereby call for the return of cheesy medleys in lieu of cheesy group sings.

A bonus for my girls:



*When I was searching Amazon.com to listen to Patty Smith's version of "Because the Night" I came across this atrocity. The McCaughey Septuplets: Sweet Dreams. Not only is that creepy as hell, but it's despicable to capitalize off your children.

4 Comments:

Blogger Rusty said...

You totally ripped off my Idol Thoughts post title, but since you're my best friend I think I can overlook it, especially since (with the exception of Kevin and Bucky [WTF?!]) I agree with everything on your list. I'm a huge Mandisa fan (yes, I myself am huge, and...uh...yeah...) but I'm sure she'll sing things I don't like as well. I still want her to win because I love her voice and she's bringin' it for all the big girls out there! Woohoo!

I don't love Kevin's voice as much as I love Kevin's adorableness. I want to put him in my pocket and carry him around all day, pinching his cheeks at random intervals.

Ace is hot as hell. Thank you for the video.

2/26/2006 9:09 PM  
Blogger Jenny G said...

Well, if you want to get technical, it was also the title of my February 8th post :) Bucky's so hot and white trash; I love it! And his wife's name is Crystal! And his twin brother's name is Rocky, and he looks EXACTLY like him! I feel the way about the cowboy that you feel about Kevin.

2/26/2006 9:57 PM  
Blogger katiedid said...

Arrgh, I cannot bring myself to root for Bucky, for completely idiosyncratic reasons. My boys, because of their speech difficulties, could not say their grandmother's name correctly. So "Grandma Becky" became "Bucky." And they still call her that now, even though they can say it just fine now that they're a little older, because dagnabit that's her name to them. She's Bucky. She will always be Bucky. And henceforth, that is a grandma's name to me forevermore. Also, his skeevy IROK-drivin'-lookin' moustache gives me a vague sense of the heebiejeebies.

2/26/2006 11:10 PM  
Blogger Jenny G said...

That's so cute :) I always hated the redneck kind of guys in high school, but they've grown on me. There are A LOT of them around here. I also have southern roots (although my grandmother was much more southern belle than Camero driving hick), so he reminds me of that part of my family tree.

2/27/2006 9:14 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home