Thursday, May 26, 2005

Evil Whitey

I work late on Thursday nights covering for the receptionist. The receptionist listens to an urban adult contemporary radio station. So I'm sitting here reading my book, and this weird ad comes on that makes me stop to listen. It's an answering machine message that says something like, "You've reached the Johnson's. If you're calling about the apartment for rent, please leave your name, number, and a brief message," in a "white" voice. Then they have all these ethnic-sounding people leaving messages with the sound of a beep afterwards (I'm assuming that means the messages were erased). Then some white-sounding dude starts to leave a message and Mrs. Johnson picks up and tells him he was the first person to call today. Then they do some spiel about housing discrimination being illegal. What. The. Fuck. Way to perpetuate stereotypes.

4 Comments:

Blogger N.F. said...

where do you work? I want a job where i can sit and read a book! :)

5/26/2005 7:22 PM  
Blogger Jenny G said...

I work at a counseling place. I'm actually busy during the day, but at night there are only 3 therapists there so there isn't much to do.

5/26/2005 9:32 PM  
Blogger Jenny G said...

Here's your edited post :-)

"Hi there! You dont know me, but I'm a friend of Chris's :)

I'm an English major, and will likely be an English teacher. :p

I hope to make your aquaintance. :)"

Thanks for the comment! I'll check out your blog when I get home. You should be banned for flooding :-).

5/27/2005 3:38 PM  
Blogger Jenny G said...

You should see me on the board that Chris and I frequent.

5/29/2005 12:14 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home