Thursday, September 04, 2008

You Don't Want to Piss off the Librarians

Not that this comes as a surprise, but Sarah Palin is, in addition to being a member of the NRA and a fund-cutter to sex ed. programs, a book banner.

"[Former Wasilla mayor] Stein says that as mayor, Palin continued to inject religious beliefs into her policy at times. 'She asked the library how she could go about banning books,' he says, because some voters thought they had inappropriate language in them. 'The librarian was aghast.' That woman, Mary Ellen Baker, couldn't be reached for comment, but news reports from the time show that Palin had threatened to fire Baker for not giving 'full support' to the mayor."

Booo!! As a card-carrying member of the American Library Association (seriously), I would like to direct Mrs. Palin's attention to the ALA's Library Bill of Rights:

I. Books and other library resources should be provided for the interest, information, and enlightenment of all people of the community the library serves. Materials should not be excluded because of the origin, background, or views of those contributing to their creation.

II. Libraries should provide materials and information presenting all points of view on current and historical issues. Materials should not be proscribed or removed because of partisan or doctrinal disapproval.

III. Libraries should challenge censorship in the fulfillment of their responsibility to provide information and enlightenment.

IV. Libraries should cooperate with all persons and groups concerned with resisting abridgment of free expression and free access to ideas.

V. A person’s right to use a library should not be denied or abridged because of origin, age, background, or views.

VI. Libraries which make exhibit spaces and meeting rooms available to the public they serve should make such facilities available on an equitable basis, regardless of the beliefs or affiliations of individuals or groups requesting their use.

Republicans, do you really want someone in office who would fire a person for disagreeing with her beliefs?

Please support challenged and banned books. Civil liberties are one of the founding principles of this country.

Source

Labels: ,

4 Comments:

Blogger Shannon Morgan said...

Thanks, Jenny -- you reminded me to put Banned Books Week on my calendar.

And Palin is a creep.

9/04/2008 10:12 PM  
Blogger Gina Thompson said...

Finally, someone who's not falling for the Palin trap! OMG - she's horrendous! This doesn't surprise me. She just seems really sneaky. I don't like it. I just don't get a good feel from her. I could have lived with McCain... but she's a nightmare, IMHO.

9/05/2008 6:52 PM  
Blogger Rusty said...

I was going to put the following in shrinky text underneath Gina Marie's, but I think I ought to at least say something in life with a bit of conviction...LOL...but I actually really like McCain. I wouldn't just "live with him". That's coming from an independent (with a lower-case i...which is an actual choice on the registration here in NC!) whose chair is painted neither red nor blue.

But yeah, I'm not Palin's biggest fan. Some things I've heard about her I'm like "right on!" and others, I want to throttle her. The throttle-worthies outweigh the ROs by more than a few. Which sucks, because like I said, I'm likin' the McCain. Bummer.

Bottom line: don't fuck with books, yo.

9/06/2008 8:02 AM  
Blogger A.S.S. said...

Palin's a Nazi Twunt!

9/08/2008 11:07 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home