Tuesday, August 19, 2008

Stuff

Two good things came out of having our door kicked in: our landlord had a screen door and a deadbolt installed. I have wanted a screen door since we moved in here about 3 1/2 years ago. The weather has been so beautiful here that we haven't needed the AC and I've been able to keep the door open. It might sound like a little thing, but I love fresh air. He didn't have a deadbolt put on the back door, but I got the carpenter's card and he only charges $20 an hour, so I'm going to ask if I can have one put on if I pay for it. It's futile because our doors have windows in them, so all someone would have to do is punch the window out and reach in to unlock the door, but at least you can't kick in a door that's deadbolted.

The kid and his mom were moving out on Saturday (he's actually not a little bastard--he's 19 and has no job and lives with his mom) and I REALLY wanted to go over there, but it's not fair to rip him a new asshole when I have no proof that he did it.

I took one of the civil service exams for a state job on Monday. It was an interesting experience; talk about a motley crew. We were all herded around like cattle and had orders barked at us. One woman didn't know how to use a mouse. Oy vey. The test was pretty easy. It's for an income maintenance case manager at the Department of Public Welfare. The first part was reading over part of the handbook and answering questions that described a household where you had to say whom was eligible for certain benefits based on the text. One of the questions was something like, "Everyone has a right to apply for benefits regardless of eligibility. In this case, 'right' means..." Three of the answers had to do with correctness and one was about something that is guaranteed to you. Are there people who would get that wrong?! There was a math part that was basically calculating benefits and gross income, there was a hilariously cheesy part about interpersonal skills where you had to watch horribly-acted vignettes and say what the person should have done, and then there was a part about grammar. I'm sure I did well, but there's a pretty long wait for these jobs. If I were planning to work for the state and retire I would probably accept it, but my future is so up in the air right now, that I don't know if it would be worth it.

I'm thinking of starting a private blog, but I don't even post on this one so I don't know what makes me think I'd post on a private one. I do feel a little stifled here though, for reasons I don't want to say here. School starts on Monday though, so I should probably hold off.

I hope everyone's enjoying the last few weeks of summer. I'm more of a fall person myself. That's pretty much all that's going on right now unless you want to read more detail about my exciting life of waking up, going to work, coming home, doing inane things in the evening, going to bed, and then starting all over the next day.

Labels: , ,

7 Comments:

Blogger i i eee said...

I'm pro private blog. Even though my private blog is a total snooze fest about my bowel movements and all my whining needs, it's nice to get it off my chest. Although I'm 75% horrified and disgusted by some of the stuff I post, because whoever knew of the great extent of my narcissism? But who the hell cares, you can control your audience. It's nice to not have to censor yourself... still, I shock myself sometimes.

Private blogging actually makes me edit my pub blog fairly well because I can say whatever the hell I want. Then I don't feel so stifled, and the desire to blog about lame boys and the color of my belly button lint is sated.

People say blogging is great cheap therapy; I say private blogging is great cheap therapy. Public therapy blogging can get one into a lot of trouble, and it can be a troll magnet... and it may force you to actually go into real therapy. Ha.

8/20/2008 1:25 AM  
Blogger March2theSea said...

wait..motley crue was at your job interview? That is mint. CRUE CRUE CRUE.

Good luck with this job hunt...and private blog..march says no way..unless i get the stinky linky.

8/20/2008 9:41 AM  
Blogger Karen said...

I know what you mean about the exam environment. I did that a few years ago when I thought I wanted to work for the county library system. It was quite an experience. The test itself made me think twice about the job though. Along with the basic math and questions about interpreting library policies, there were quite a few unpleasant scenarios about dealing with unhinged people and other challenging patrons. Not the best idea for a person who hates conflict.

8/21/2008 12:42 PM  
Blogger Rusty said...

Jen, I had to read the question about "right" about four times to understand your point.

Of course, I can be forgiven, because I had kindergarten open house for parents today and my brain is currently dead, but seriously...I felt like such an ass. *sigh*

I hope things work out the way you want them to. And if you want to start a private blog, by all means do so...but don't try to leave me out of it, girlfriend! :P

8/21/2008 7:27 PM  
Blogger Jenny G said...

Rusty, I didn't explain the question very well. It was obvious when you were taking the test.

My private blog will be open to everyone except Rusty and March.

8/21/2008 11:03 PM  
Blogger N.F. said...

Totally go private.

But don't forget me - you have to bring me along ok?




:)

(I think you are my very first blog friend EVER.)

8/22/2008 2:57 PM  
Blogger Steve H said...

sorry you are feeling stifled...

8/25/2008 10:03 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home