Monday, August 13, 2007

Book Geek and Other Things

Yay for free and/or cheap books! I just got the Chronicles of Narnia box set ($27.65 retail price) from Ebay for about $13 and I got another free book ($24.95) from the LibraryThing early reviewers program. It's The Guardians by Ana Castillo. LibraryThing kicks ass! I paid about $25 for a lifetime membership and have received $50 worth of books so far! And the greatest part is that the membership fee would be worth it even without the free books.

I have been sick for a little over a week. I woke up with a cold last Sunday and I felt pretty decent by Tuesday, but I can't shake this hacky, phlegmy cough. I suppose it would go away faster if I didn't smoke so much. Monday was the worst day, but luckily I had taken the day off because I was having some maintenance done on my car, so all I had planned to do was sit on my ass and watch bad daytime TV. I used Zicam swabs on Sunday and Monday morning. I don't know if it helped or not, but it was a pretty short cold.

My online grad school starts two weeks from today and the in-person one starts in about a month. I'm a little nervous, mostly because I prefer not doing stuff over doing stuff. Everyone is telling me to kiss my free time good-bye, but I can't imagine it will be that time-consuming. I've never really had a hard time in school. I hardly did any work in high school. In college I did more, but I was rarely stressed about the amount I had to do. I think sometimes people like to exaggerate their war stories, but my parents are the only people I've talked to who didn't give me horror stories. They like to nag and criticize though, so I know they would constantly be telling me how difficult it was going to be if that were the case. I guess I'll find out for myself.

Chris downloaded Counter-Strike: Condition Zero for me. First-person shooters are a great way to get your aggression out. Unfortunately I get a little addicted.

I repayed Chris's kindness for doing that by running his cell phone through the washer. It's so strange because I never check his pockets, but this time I actually did and apparently I missed his phone. We have equipment insurance, but it's a $50 deductible. I'm trying not to think of all the other things I could spend $50 on instead.

The other day on the way to work I saw a guy with a bumper sticker that said, "My other toy has tits." Eww. That bothered me and I'm most definitely not a feminist. Of course this guy was driving a massive SUV that barely fit in one lane of the highway. I wanted to walk up to him, knock on his window and say, "I'm sorry you have a small penis, sir."

Labels: , ,

10 Comments:

Blogger March2theSea said...

I have that same bumpersticker!!!!


Not.

What a loser.

Hope you get well soon!

8/13/2007 10:16 AM  
Blogger j said...

Hope the non-stress grad school stuff is exactly that. As for the "higher-up", it's tricky. If he/she's not overtly hurting someone, mayhaps it's easier to leave it.

J.

8/13/2007 11:01 AM  
Blogger B. said...

Could you talk to the person directly about your concern?

8/13/2007 11:38 AM  
Blogger Jenny G said...

March: I thought that was you behind the wheel!

j: I think you're right.

b: I've offered to help this person with the work and it has been refused/ignored. I can't directly address my specific concerns; it won't end well.

8/13/2007 3:23 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good luck with school. I'm still dumping about. Hope you feel better too. In the words of advice columnists every where, I say if it doesn't affect you, then leave it be. Otherwise you're stirring up a hornet's nest.

Terrible bumper sticker.

I just started a book you may enjoy: Ex Libris by Anne Fadiman. I JUST started it--but it seems good. About books and stuff.

8/13/2007 10:16 PM  
Blogger Gina Thompson said...

Hey Jenny! Please keep me informed on the grad work. My friend is thinking of applying for the same program. It'll be good to know what you think of it.

Also enjoyed your political post... I spent a good deal of time checking out these cats. I like min. wage of teachers being $40,000... though I don't know about longer school days. And longer school years. Yikes! I'm always envious of people with jobs in which they don't have to take their work home with them, even if that means sitting in an office all day. I have a lot of evenings of grading papers and lesson planning to look forward to while my boyfriend twiddles on the guitar. But truth is -- I can't wait to teach. And hey, I get two months off! (Yeah, right!)

Sorry I've been so silent lately -- still enjoying your posts, though!

8/14/2007 8:21 AM  
Blogger Jenny G said...

Funky: Thanks for the recommendation!

Gina: I will.

8/14/2007 9:59 PM  
Blogger i i eee said...

Ugh. That's a tough one. I suppose there's no reason to blow the whistle if no one's really being hurt in the process. But honestly, I'd have a hard time not doing anything -but I let that kind of thing fester.

That bumper sticker...ugh. It would have been awesome to give him the small penis line! Bwah!

8/15/2007 12:05 PM  
Blogger Rusty said...

As horrible as that bumper sticker is, I'm not as repulsed by it as one I read once on a huge truck that read something along the lines of "Drive a tall truck so fat girls can't climb up". That kind of offensiveness just knocks the wind out of me...how can anyone be so awful?

8/16/2007 12:52 AM  
Blogger Karen said...

I would just be quietly righteously indignant. I fancy myself a big shit-starter, but I hardly ever start any.

I received a message about joining that early reviewers program on Library Thing, but when I click on the link to sign up, it's broken and goes nowhere. I posted a comment to that Tim person, but now he's ignoring me. :(

That bumper sticker is nauseating.

8/22/2007 11:17 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home