Monday, January 08, 2007

New Year's Resolutions

How did I do on my resolutions from last year?

1. Quit smoking for real. - Oops.

2. Eat healthier (to me this means eating less processed food, i.e. giving up those evil Lean Cuisines that I don't really like anyway, not buying white bread anymore (even if it's X-treme), etc.) - I actually did ok on this one, but I could do better. And I did give up Lean Cuisines. Man, those things are fucking nasty.

3. Read more - Again, I did ok but I could have done better. I read 15 books: The World According to Garp, One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest, Bastard Out of Carolina, The Glass Castle: A Memoir, Kitchen Confidential, Welcome to the World, Baby Girl!, Wasted: A Memoir of Anorexia and Bulimia, The 158-Pound Marriage, The Hours, The Corrections, Ten Big Ones, The Pelican Brief, The Chimney Sweeper's Boy, The Da Vinci Code, and Drunk With Love

4. Continue working on my cognitive-behavioral issues. - I don't think I did well with this. I'm still messed up.

5. Exercise more - Rusty and I actually went hiking a bunch of times till she moved and I did some walking on my own. I could have done a lot more though.

6. Working on easing up on some of my OCD tendencies - Nope

Now for 2007's resolutions:

1. Continue to eat better - I've cut out a lot of processed foods and I'm working on cutting out more. I also have to cut down on the fried food I eat. I only eat that shit when I eat out (which is rare for me), but I need to work on making healthier choices when I do eat out. Luckily the deli one block away from works makes awesome grilled chicken sandwiches and when I ate there last week I chose chicken corn soup over fries. Now I have to work on stopping my habit of getting grease-laden chicken wings and fries from the Chinese place when I have my period.

2. Exercise more - I need to start taking more walks and I want to work up to being able to run again. I need to do this even if I don't have anyone to do it with me.

3. Quit being so stagnant - One of my coworkers said they were talking about me at staff meeting (Greeeeat) and she pointed out that I was too smart to stay in my position for any length of time. I thought about it and she's right, hence the grad school research. I'm talking to my dad about money this weekend and I hope to apply by the middle of February at the latest. I have a tendency to stay in comfortable situations that aren't that good for me and that needs to end.

4. Stop giving a shit - I don't need to go to extremes and be like Peter in Office Space, but I really need to work on this. I'm actually pretty proud of what I have done so far. I used to get so stressed out at work because I'm a perfectionist. One of my co-workers has been out sick and a while and will probably out for a good while, leaving me bent over my desk giving work full access to fuck me up the ass. I'm now doing the work or 2 1/2 people. I just found out that my supervisor can hire someone to help alleviate some of my work, but she won't. So now I've resolved to stop giving a rat's rectum if my work isn't perfect. I don't give a shit if I'm late. I don't give a shit if I piss someone off. What the hell are they going to do, fire me?
It's spreading to other parts of my life too. J. would be proud to know that I no longer have massive bouts of road rage on my way to work. High-strung Jen is about to become laid-back Jen.

Labels:

4 Comments:

Blogger j said...

I'm actually working on mellowing out in my own morning commute--I think what I'm listening to plays a part in setting the tone. Maybe less death metal? ;-)

1/08/2007 10:13 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

DAMMIT! All this crap, and I'm not around to see it. I'm moving back to PA, just to be a witness to your new year's resolutions.

I've always loved you anyway, though...high-strung Jen or not. :)

1/09/2007 6:32 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I can really relate to your "not giving a shit" comment. I used to do the same thing at work under the guise of "making it easier on myself." Actually I just wanted everything to be perfect - no surprises, no crises. But as we both know it's impossible and it only breeds bitterness, stress and chest pains. Try wearing flip-flops to work tomorrow. :)

1/09/2007 9:40 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I’ve had "lose weight" as a new year’s resolution since I was 12. It still hasn't happened. If I measure correctly, I am wider than I was when I was 12. My resolution this year is: stop fucking looking at skinny models and be happy that I don't have protruding hip bones and rib cages. But yeah, I like eating healthy and exercising, as long as I’m doing it for the right reasons. Last night I had an amazing bratwurst sandwich at a local brewery, and I opted for the pasta salad instead of fries, and when it came, all I wanted was some god damn fries with my awesome tasting sausage. There's a profound lesson in that story somewhere.

1/12/2007 6:34 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home