Wednesday, December 27, 2006

All That Preparation...

...and now it's over. I'm actually glad Christmas is over. I get so sick of hearing Christmas carols and seeing Christmas commercials. Maybe if they didn't start in June they wouldn't be so irritating by December. I'm back at work, doing the job of 4 people, cursing myself for not becoming a teacher so I could have this whole week off. I had a nice little 5-day weekend though. On Friday I went to the grocery store and got a hair cut and for the life of me I can't remember what else I did. Early Saturday morning I dropped my car off to get the oil changed and then my dad and I went out for breakfast. At lunchtime I went to the hospital where I used to work to visit and get some free food. Then I watched True Colors which made me decide to take all the John Cusack movies that sound stupid off my Netflix queue.

On Saturday my mom had my grandma over for brunch (she was invited to their house for Christmas day, but the golden son, my uncle, was having Christmas dinner at his house so of course she had to go there) so I stopped by give my grandma her present so I could avoid having to get together with the Fox News watchin', deer huntin', Bible thumpin', George Bush votin' for side of my family. There's nothing wrong with them, we just obviously don't have too much in common. Every time I talked to her for the past few months she has gone on about how she has asked the golden grandchild, my cousin, to come over and wash her car but he never did. I decided to get her a gift certificate to Cloister car wash so she would quit her bitching. Her response was, "They scratched my sister's car and didn't pay for it." You're welcome, grandma. Last year she didn't even say anything when I gave her her present, so I guess this was a step up. When she opened my parents' present (a gift card to Wal-Mart and to the grocery store) she said, "I guess I'll use those." This is the same grandma who had this to say about the card I sent her a few years ago: "It's not a real Christmas card because it's not religious and it's the same one you sent me last year." Guess who is off my Christmas present list for next year? And I'll be more than happy to tell her why when she asks. In the evening we went to Chris's grandparents' house for dinner. It was saner than my family's gatherings. Chris and I exchanged presents when we got home. I got season 5 of
Curb Your Enthusiasm (that show is freaking hilarious, by the way), a gift card to Linens N Things, a Georgia O'Keefe calendar (he said he took special care to find one with the least vagina-looking flowers), and a universal remote to replace the piece-of-shit one that I bought to replace that original one that broke. I gave him guitar strings, Naked Pictures of Famous People by Jon Stewart, and Season 9 of The Simpsons which was missing a disc. Of freaking course I grab the one that's missing a disc.

On Monday we went back to Chris's grandparents' house because his mom is in a rehab hospital and was allowed to come home for Christmas day. *Reading over that it sounds like she's in drug rehab; it's physical therapy* After that we headed over to my parents' house for dinner. My aunt was visiting from Cincinnati and she's usually a bitch, but she was pretty decent this year. I tell people she's like Patsy from
Absolutely Fabulous but no one has ever seen that show. Basically she's the kind of person who uses the word fabulous in an unironic way.

Yesterday I didn't do jack shit except go to Target to exchange the Simpsons DVDs. It was a glorious day. Is it bad that I'm already ready for my upcoming 3-day weekend? I hope everyone had a great Christmas and has a good (and safe) New Year!

Labels:

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

you must have been exahusted from all that..and glad to be back at work!

12/27/2006 2:15 PM  
Blogger Caroline said...

I'm so ready for the 3 day weekend already. Christmas is exhausting, and on Friday I can't wait to not go anywhere and climb into bed and watch some episodes from the complete first season of 90210 dvd set that my boss gave me.

I would also like to say that I have seen that show Absolutely Fabulous. :-) My older sister loves that show too.

12/27/2006 5:17 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Curb is awesome. The Terrets Chef may be the funniest thing I have ever seen on TV. Happy New Year!

12/28/2006 8:33 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ah, Grandmas. Aren't they great?

You told me yesterday that we already discussed all this stuff, but a bunch of these things are new to me, and some are quite funny.

You did make it sound like you did a lot...you must have been tired after all that, and a few hours of computer-game addiction thrown in, I'm sure. :)

12/28/2006 9:23 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ahhhh, the extended family...I know how you feel. My response has been a selfish one however. I just don't bother to talk to them anymore.

Life is much more interesting when people misinterpret it. "A potential in-law in rehab!? Awesome!!"

Oh, I'm also one of the few who knows what Ab Fab is.

Happy New Year to you too.

12/30/2006 5:15 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home