Wednesday, January 04, 2006

Thinking Back

If anyone would have asked me if anything interesting happened in 2005, my first instinct would have been to say no. But now that I think back, a few interesting things did happen. 2005 began with excitement about moving to our new house. I, in a typical lapse of reason, decided that Christmas Eve would be a great time to go grocery shopping. I drove all over York trying to find a grocery store that wasn't full. Finally, about to give up, I remembered the dinky Food Lion near our apartment. I decided to go a back way instead of driving down the main drag. I was stopped at a light at a barber shop and noticed a sign up for a condo for rent. I jotted down the phone number and didn't think anything of it until later when I decided to call. Chris and I made an appointment to check the place out and I fell in love with it right away. We were living in a tiny, ghetto, one bedroom apartment with an apartment washer/dryer combo that were were paying $30 a month to rent since I'm a germophobe. This was a two-story, two bedroom house that had been gutted and had brand new everything, including a full-sized washer and dryer. We paid our security deposit and were told we could move in on February 1st. There is no comparison between these places.

2005 also began with me vowing to get the hell out of my old job. I don't want to go into too many details about it since I work for the same company, but I've never been screwed so badly in my life. It had come to the point where I was literally thinking, "If I die, I won't have to go to work tomorrow." Things had a way of working themselves out, and I was able to get this job which took a huge weight off my shoulders. No more wishing I would die!

2005 found me quitting smoking as well. Say what you will about the technicality of the word quit, but I think it's pretty good that I'm down to 1 a day, if that, after smoking over a pack a day for 6 years, without the help of the patch or the gum or anything.

I also took major steps towards getting rid of the funk that I've been in for literally half my life. It's a long story, but I've realized that we control our own moods for the most part and that it was time for me to snap the fuck out of it. I'm not a Stepford wife now, but things are going pretty well in my brain.

Which brings me to my resolutions:

1. Quit smoking for real.
2. Eat healthier (to me this means eating less processed food, i.e. giving up those evil Lean Cuisines that I don't really like anyway, not buying white bread anymore (even if it's X-treme), etc.)
3. Read more.
4. Continue working on my cognitive-behavioral issues.
5. Exercise more (Rusty, we should do that hiking thing we were going to do last summer!)
6. Working on easing up on some of my OCD tendencies.

6 Comments:

Blogger Rusty said...

I'd love to do the hiking thing! That would be wonderful!

And Jen...let me be the first to say how proud I am of you for all the shit you got rid of this year (and yet you retain the Big C? JUST KIDDING, Chris! Kidding!) and moved on from. Good for you for only 1 cig instead of dozens! Good for you for movin' on up to the East side (except you're still in East York)! Good for you for wanting to become a better person! Hooray for 2005's accomplishments, and hooray for 2006's goals!

I know I sound like a big sap, but I love you so much. I'm so lucky to have a best friend like you. :) Best of luck with the 2006 resolutions, especially that pesky #6. :-P

Although I DO think there should be a #7 - hang out with me more. Ha ha! :)

1/04/2006 8:31 PM  
Blogger Caroline said...

I totally understand what you had to deal w/jobwise. Getting screwed royally felt like daily occurance for me in 2005. I give you a lot of credit for staying with the same company!! Good luck to you with your resolutions. May you reach all of your goals in 2006!!! :-)

1/04/2006 10:22 PM  
Blogger Dim said...

Wow, JG, way to kick 2005's ass! And here's wishing you good luck in your resolutions for this year. I have faith that you will kick even more ass in 2006.

I don't do resolutions myself, but if I did, I'd probably have some of the same as yours. And maybe add avoiding idiots at concerts.

- D.

1/04/2006 10:39 PM  
Blogger Meadow said...

Wow, JennyG, I'm so proud of you! I can totally relate to that I-hate-my-job-so-much-I-want-to-die feeling. Unfortunately, I've had it a few times myself. I'm glad it all worked out for you!

1/05/2006 9:20 AM  
Blogger Kate said...

Fabulous!!!! You've come a long way, baby! :-)

I wish I could go hiking with you guys. I love hiking! and I could use the exercise too. :-)

1/05/2006 10:31 AM  
Blogger Jenny G said...

Thanks, guys! I love you too, Rusty :)

1/06/2006 1:58 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home