Monday, January 01, 2007

Less Talk, More Action

Ok, I've finally decided. I'm going to go for my MS in Library Science at Clarion University. I chose Clarion because MSLS programs are few and far between. The only schools in PA are Clarion, Drexel, and Pitt, none of which are within driving distance. Drexel's program isn't what I want and Pitt doesn't have an online program. The University of Maryland also has a program, and it's within driving distance from York (which doesn't help as I'm working in Harrisburg), but the school itself is more expensive and it'll be even more since I'm out of state. Clarion has an online program and a satellite campus in Harrisburg.

I think I might start in the spring of '08. I could do fall '07 but I have to look into grants and loans and taking the GRE if I need to (and thankfully I don't think I do). I don't have the first clue about how to pay for school since my parents paid for my undergrad, for which I am eternally thankful. I'm not looking forward to having student loans, but I only have about $200 on my credit cards and the only other debt I have is an interest-free car loan from my dad. When I go to work tomorrow I have to talk to my supervisor about the possibility of having evening classes and not being able to work at night. Obviously I have no idea what night my classes would be, but I'd rather take care of that now than have to panic because the class I need is only on a Thursday evening.

My goal is to do more research on the school and degree requirements by the middle of this month and to know what to do about the financial aspect and have my application ready to go by the end of this month, and if it's ready by then I might as well go for the soonest semester possible. The only possible roadblock is that if I want to do 100% online (which I would prefer), it's a cohort program, and I think it's full till '08, but that's where the research comes in. Wish me luck as I prepare to embark on my journey as a coffee- and cigarette-fueled grad student.

Labels: ,

14 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have a friend here in State College fiddling with the same idea. For the same reasons. I think it's a great idea. Keep us posted. Where did you get the information? Just from the Clarion website?

1/01/2007 8:35 PM  
Blogger Dim said...

That's really great, JG! I'm sure you'll do a fantastic job!

1/01/2007 10:15 PM  
Blogger Jenny G said...

Gina: Here's the link to the department of Library Science at Clarion to pass on to your friend.

http://www.clarion.edu/edu-humn/newlibsci/index.htm

Also, if you google "Master's in Library Science" the first link is to the ALA's site and they list all the accredited programs. You can search based on whether you want to do face-to-face courses, 100% online, etc.

Funky: Thanks! If it pans out I'll definitely blog about it. Right after I wrote this, my dad called (I had e-mailed him about it) and went on about if I was SURE I wanted to do this, are there really that many jobs, it probably doesn't pay that well, etc. I love books though, and I can't think of anything else I would want to get my master's in.

Dim: Thanks! I hope so.

1/01/2007 10:20 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

While I was giddy with excitement for you reading about this, I was also a little bit sad that you didn't share it with me over break so I could squeal and talk to you about it. What's up with that?!

Had I not gotten this job, I had planned to go to McDaniel College in western Maryland for the same thing. Apparently they specialize in it? Best of luck...you'll be amazing.

1/02/2007 6:46 AM  
Blogger Jenny G said...

I just figured it out for myself yesterday! :)

1/02/2007 9:34 AM  
Blogger N.F. said...

GOOD GOOD LUCK! You can absolutely do it!

1/02/2007 10:50 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

awesome..best of luck and of course we will tune in for updates on how homework sucks so much ass!!

1/02/2007 11:01 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Best of luck! Sounds like you're really planning this out pretty well.

1/02/2007 2:57 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good luck to you! That has been a dream of mine but I don't have enough discipline to undertake something like that...at least that's the excuse I'm using. :) Finding a 100% online program is kind of hard, but sometimes it works out. Hubby John is getting his PhD from the Univ. of Nebraska and it's one of the few 100% online programs. Ironic because he's from Omaha, both his brothers went there, and he pretty much vowed he never would. Anyway, again best of luck! That's really exciting!

1/02/2007 3:30 PM  
Blogger B. said...

Yay! I hope it all works out.

1/02/2007 5:45 PM  
Blogger Caroline said...

Very nice! I'm sure that it will all workout for you, and you will do very well.

1/04/2007 9:01 AM  
Blogger Jenny G said...

Thanks for the kind words, everyone.

Karen, I don't think I'm going to do the 100% online. You have to pick a specialty right from the beginning and you have zero choice as to which courses you take. Plus, I'm interested in meeting some new people and that won't really happen if I do all online. They have a satellite school in Harrisburg where I work, so I think I'm going to do a combo of online and classes at the satellite. I'm waiting to hear back from the e-mail I sent asking a few questions.

1/04/2007 11:42 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow, congrats! You're going to do great!

1/04/2007 8:42 PM  
Blogger pog mo thoin said...

Excellent! Congrats to you! It is exciting!

1/06/2007 7:03 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home