Monday, June 12, 2006

Weekend Update

In my quest to find a good version of the Bible to read, I came across one I think I'll pass on. This is from the teen bible Revolve (from my 365 stupid quotes calendar):

"The Fire of God's love burns out the sin the same way the hot steam routs the dirt our of your pores."


On Saturday Rusty and I went hiking and then to Subway for lunch. In the afternoon I went to Chris's grandfather's surprise 80th birthday party. The best part of the party? His cousin's 2 beagles, Buddy and Bang (I don't know either). I can just imagine the look I must have had on my face when I finally looked down towards the back yard and saw them. They were freaking adorable! I finally convinced Chris that we're getting beagles. One's going to be named Beau, but I don't know about the other one yet. After that I was pretty productive. I washed my car, put a second and third coat of water sealer on my table, sprayed bug spray around the perimeter of our house (we don't have a basement so we get tons of bugs in the summer), and potted my mint in a separate pot. My tipsters were right; when I pulled out the mint the roots had spread throughout the whole pot, and it was only about 2 weeks ago that I planted it.

On Sunday I went with Rusty to her family's weekly Aroma outing and took a 2-hour nap afterwards (Mmmm, MSG). Then I watched Hell House, a documentary about a haunted house-type thing a church puts on to teach people about the "evils" of society. I wasn't as offended as I thought I'd be except for the part where they portrayed a gay man dying of AIDS, implying that being gay is a choice and AIDS is god's way of ridding the world of gays. The funniest part was when one of the staff members was arguing with 2 teenagers and the teenagers' argument (which was surprisingly well-spoken and well-thought out) left him speechless.

11 Comments:

Blogger Kate said...

Hahaha! Clogged pores! Also, I've seem Hell House, so bizzare!

Beagles are so cute. I've heard they tend to wander (following their noses) and get lost a lot. Is that true? So cute.

6/12/2006 11:05 AM  
Blogger Jenny G said...

Since they're hounds it's instinctual for them to wander, but my bf's cousin said the dog he has had since it was a puppy wouldn't run away. The one he got at an older age ran away, but it came back.

Electric fences don't work with them though because if they see a rabbit they're going to run no matter how much voltage they have going through them.

My other concern is that they get really lonely and when they're lonely they cause mischief, so that's why I want to get 2.

6/12/2006 1:01 PM  
Blogger Shannon Morgan said...

This Amazon page has links for bible versions - I think I read either the New Int'l Reader's Version or the New Revised Standard. I also (not joking) had Kenneth Davis' Don't Know Much About the Bible for background info like when the books were actually written, and by whom. It was an academic exercise for me, though. If it's spiritual for you, you may ask a clergyman to suggest a version to read.

Good luck with the dogs, too!

6/12/2006 2:10 PM  
Blogger N.F. said...

When I get older (ha!) and move out (ha! ha!) I want to get 2 animals, either cats/dogs/fish/etc. and name one Dooney and the other Bourke.

Growing up, my family had friends that had 2 dogs, and their names were Scotch and other was named Soda.

6/12/2006 2:30 PM  
Blogger B. said...

I had a beagle and a springer spaniel-beagle mix (among others) growing up. Both were fun, energetic dogs. Very lovable breed.
You can ask Rusty about the first one's demise....she'll know what I'm talking about.

6/12/2006 4:56 PM  
Blogger Gina Thompson said...

trying to convince the old man right now to get a kitten cat. He's allergic. I'm stubborn.

6/12/2006 10:50 PM  
Blogger Mr. A said...

Very cute dogs...

They have these cross breeds now of Beegles and Pugs called Puggles that are really friggin cute!

Good luck with a dog... Too much work for me!

6/13/2006 10:37 AM  
Blogger Jenny G said...

I'm actually looking for the bible in novel form instead of having to read all the boring stuff.

6/13/2006 7:17 PM  
Blogger Mr. A said...

A bible in novel form?

hmmm...

Ah, nevermind....

;-)

6/13/2006 9:02 PM  
Blogger Meadow said...

Cute pups!

6/14/2006 9:02 AM  
Blogger Rusty said...

Jenny, I already told you about The Book of God. I'll have to get it for you. I LOVE that book.

The beagles are adorable! I freakin' love them.

Hell House sounds interesting, but it sounds like it would piss me off as well.

6/14/2006 7:59 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home