Thursday, June 01, 2006

Three Things That Are Wrong With Society

This could actually be titled "One Thing That Is Wrong With Society," since they all tie together.

Entitlement

I see this a lot, and it's only going to get worse. Today's children are being coddled. When kids receive failing grades or getting detention, their parents call in and yell at the teacher. Believe you me, if I had failed a class, I would have been the one being yelled at, not the teacher. Yes, my parents were teachers so they were more sensitive to the plight of the educator than other parents, but it's still a child's responsibility to do the work and get help if he doesn't understand the material. Parents can't even discipline their children anymore because if you even look at your child wrong Children and Youth will be called and you will have to jump through hoops. Not that Children and Youth is all bad; they do save some children from horrible situations, but now they're used as a threat by children to their parents. When I was in school no one was involved in Children and Youth, no one was medicated or going to therapy. We just dealt.

Another thing that isn't helping is the "we're all special" mentality. No, we're not. Sure, we're special to our friends and families, and blah blah, but in the scheme of the world, we're not special. Everyone fails at things, everyone makes mistakes. Some people will go on to do great things, some won't. That's the way life goes. When you coddle children, they collapse under the weight of the real world when they leave the nest. Not that we shouldn't praise children and encourage them to do the great things. We should, but sometimes life sucks and they need to learn to deal with it.

These children grow up to be the adults who yell at me because they couldn't find a parking spot or because we don't have an appointment available RIGHT THAT SECOND.

No personal responsibility

We recently had 2 incidents involving drunk people dying because they fell from high places. In one of the cases, a girl got drunk at a bar and was trying to jump from one building to another when she fell. A guy on the news said it was the LCB's fault. Excuse me? Did the LCB force this girl to drink as much as she did? Did they tell her that it was a good idea to jump from one building to another? Everyone in our society is looking to play the blame game. If you make a mistake or do something stupid, you can just sue and everything will be ok.

These are the people who yell at me because their case was closed because they never showed up to any of their appointments or they are out of medication because they didn't show up to their med check and didn't keep track of how many pills they have left.

Lack of respect/consideration

I see this every day on my way to and from work when I get behind a douchebag who is driving 50 in the passing lane of a 65 zone with 2 miles of cars backed up behind him. We're now living in a "me" society. That's fine in some respects, but common courtesies have gone by the wayside. I know chivalry is dead by the number of men who have allowed doors to close on me instead of standing there for 2 extra seconds to hold them.

It's come to the point where I'm pleasantly surprised when someone is nice to me or goes out of his or her way to do something. I'm not a demanding person, but I expect the same consideration that I give to others. When I see how much things have changed in my lifetime I can't imagine with people who were alive in the '50s must think about what has become of our society.

I shudder to think what things will be like in 2041 when I'm 60 and the children of today are running the world.

9 Comments:

Blogger B. said...

In agreement with you 100%. I would also list "Lack of initiative/work ethic" among other things wrong with our society. People don't take responsibility, aren't considerate, don't work hard, and raise their kids to do the same.

Sort of case in point, but really just something I'd like to get off my chest:
Around November, one of my students was doing poorly in a certain subject. I conferenced with the parents and told them that I would like their child to go to the tutor who comes in once a week to get some extra help. The parents told me "my child does not need THOSE kinds of services, she is brilliant, none of our other children had problems in first grade until now." I told them that I was sorry that they felt that way, and that I was doing my best with their child. Now, 2 weeks before school ends, the child has an even worse grade than before and I get a note asking me what kind of help I've been offering their daughter. ????? You said you didn't want help and then you wonder why your child has a 74?!?!?!?!??!?! Not my problem.

6/01/2006 3:48 PM  
Blogger Mr. A said...

Well said!


This could have been a "guest Blog"

lol

You are 100% right about all of this. It's an "NOW" mentality that I see. I want it NOW!!!

By the time we are 60 the world will STILL be run by us! THese kids will be living in our basements!

I wrote something about this too.... MONTHS ago! Don't know it you ever saw it.

http://pppannoy.blogspot.com/2006/01/can-i-get-leash.html

6/01/2006 4:37 PM  
Blogger EnnuiHerself said...

I agree with you here too. Although I generally hate the "back in the good old days" argument, I do agree that people have become lazier and take less responsibilty for their own actions.

And, one of my biggest pet peeves is parents who don't parent thus forcing the rest of us to deal with their unruly, ill-behaved children. I just hear horror stories from friends who are teachers.

If everyone would just remember that it's not about them, the world would be a better place.

EH

6/01/2006 9:23 PM  
Blogger Meadow said...

Woohoo! Amen and hallelujah! Well said!

6/02/2006 9:01 AM  
Blogger Jenny G said...

B, I wouldn't be able to deal with parents as a teacher. Especially when they yelled at ME because their child was lazy and didn't do the work.

Annoyed, next time I'm pissed about something I'll have to submit it to you :). It happens often!

Ennui, some of the children's behavior at my office is an abomination. This one mother allows her child who is about 18 months to run up and down the halls, going into everyone's offices. I understand that sometimes children do things you don't want them to do, but if you know your child is going to bolt the second you put her down--now here's a novel concept--don't put her down! A lot of the parents don't even make their children clean up the toys in the waiting room.

6/02/2006 11:29 AM  
Blogger Jenny G said...

Oops, hit enter too soon! Thanks, Abnormal!

6/02/2006 11:29 AM  
Blogger Caroline said...

Ahh, kids today. Hehe. When I walk down Michigan Ave on Saturday afternoons and see teenagers who think that they are soo cool with their Abercrombie and Fitch shopping bags!! Hehehe.


My best friend here is a teacher in the Chicago Public Schools and we often talk about things like this. We also talk about the lack of respect and consideration people seem to have nowadays! Oh and the lack of ettiquette!!

I also get very surprised when someone holds the door for me, actually says excuse me, or goes out their way to be pleasant and courteous. The irony of this is that I live in a city thats supposedly soo friendly!!!

6/02/2006 3:26 PM  
Blogger Shannon Morgan said...

Preach on, sister Jenny G!

I freaking hate the lack of personal responsibility thing. And bad customer service. Grrr.

6/02/2006 7:57 PM  
Blogger Jenny G said...

Caroline, I remember when I thought I was cool. Now I realize that I'm a huge dork :). I was taught ettiquette at a very young age and plan to do the same if I ever have kids.

Nomadshan, I just switched grocery stores because the people at my old one were so rude and acted like it was a pain in the ass to ring me up. Maybe it was, but they shouldn't act like it.

6/04/2006 1:43 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home