Sunday, June 04, 2006

My Library

A few weeks ago I started a project where I made a list of all the books I have read. It's something I wanted to do for a long time, but I got a bug up my butt (and probably had something important I needed to do and wanted to procrastinate), so I decided to do it, and made a list in Word. My obsession with lists is quite scary.

Today, much to my delight, I saw that my new blog friend, Gina Marie, had a link to LibraryThing. It's actually pretty awesome, and I spent my evening transferring my list. Here it is. It's mostly for me, but since it was so much work, I decided to share it. On it I include books I read on my own, books I had to read for school (that I remember), books I own but have not read, and children's books that I have re-read as an adult.

I'd recommend it for anyone who is as methodical (read: anal) as I am.

By the way, no comments from the peanut gallery about the massive amount of Oprah books I have read. I wasn't a voracious reader until college and I didn't no where to start so I needed some suggestions. Some of her books were great, some were complete and total crap.

8 Comments:

Blogger Dim said...

Wow, that's a pretty cool program there. I might have to check that out more.

Orwell rules, by the way. Animal Farm is my favorite book ever.

- D.

6/05/2006 7:50 AM  
Blogger Meadow said...

I like that. That's pretty cool. I'm impressed that you even remember all those books.

6/05/2006 9:40 AM  
Blogger Gina Thompson said...

Isn't it cool? I'm working (slowly) on my list. ANOTHER thing that keeps me addicted to the internet. Damn. But i'm sorta cheating because I've included books that I own, but not neccessarily read yet. Cause, well, they are in my "library."

6/05/2006 2:32 PM  
Blogger Jenny G said...

I'd love to see your list if you do it, Dim.

Abnormal, I already had a smaller list of books I've read and some were easy to remember, like the Sue Grafton alphabet novels.

Gina, it is very cool! I added books I haven't read, but own. It's yours; you can do whatever you want! :) I'm using mine as more of a list of books I've read rather than books I own, because once I read a book I usually take it to the paperback exchange. I noticed that I'm getting close to the 200 book limit. I might consider becoming a paid member if the novelty doesn't wear off.

6/05/2006 2:51 PM  
Blogger Shannon Morgan said...

And I thought I was the only dork with a book list!

Just kidding. About the dork part, not the list part. Mine's on a spreadsheet (DORK!!) and includes every book I discover and want to read at some point.

Will definitely check out LibraryThing.

p.s. Thanks for the link love - have reciprocated gladly. Great blog!

6/05/2006 3:43 PM  
Blogger Dim said...

I have so many books, JG, and have read catastrophically few of them. I need to get on the horse and start feeding my brain again.

- D.

6/05/2006 4:12 PM  
Blogger B. said...

JG-I read through your book list this morning while eating breakfast. A lot I've never read, but some I have read and loved (The Girls' Guide to Hunting and Fishing, To Kill a Mockingbird, Animal Farm just to name a few).

6/05/2006 7:38 PM  
Blogger Jenny G said...

Nomad, hurray for dorks! A spreadsheet is so much dorkier than a list in Word though :).

Dim, I'm the same way. I'm a used paperback book store addict.

B, if you liked Animal Farm, try 1984 if you haven't already.

6/06/2006 9:34 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home