Thursday, May 25, 2006

Blogging the Bible

I've been reading Blogging the Bible by David Plotz at Slate. Neither my church nor my parents raised me with the belief that the Bible was to be taken literally; it was seen as a bunch fables with a few passages of non-fiction thrown in here and there. Today I look at the Bible as a piece of literature, albeit a great and influential one. Even though I don't agree with all its teachings, it's a guide for how to live a good life even though most of its wisdom is common sense. I always wanted to read the Bible, but I found the language to be laborious with all that A begat B who begat C who begat D stuff. I have a basic knowledge of Bible stories and I even remember from Sunday school that the first 5 books are Genesis, Exodus, Leviticus, Numbers, and Deuteronomy. If the Bible came in novel form, I would love to read it (Readers--does it?).

That's why I love Mr. Plotz's take. With passages like "After the attempted mass gay rape, the father pimping, the urban devastation, uxorious saline murder, it looks like Lot and his daughters are finally safe," it might be easy to call it blasphemous, but it's not because it's true. Since Mr. Plotz is Jewish I'm not expecting to see the New Testament done by him, but I'll continue to enjoy the Old Testament.

9 Comments:

Blogger Kate said...

Interesting! I don't know if it's been made into a novel, but there are some versions that are easier to read than others. I like the NIV version myself.

I really reccomend the New Testament. I've read it a bunch of times and I always find it intersting to compare it to todays world. For example: Pharisees=Christian Evengalicels. :-)

5/25/2006 11:31 AM  
Blogger Caroline said...

I find religion a very interesting topic of conversation. I love talking about it, along with politics. I was raised Catholic, and when I was in elementary school I found myself taking the Bible literally. Sometimes I felt that if I didn't that I was a bad person, and that I wouldn't go to Heaven when I die.

When I got to college, my opinions started to change. I think that there are a lot of good arguments out there about it. I was watching a show over the weekend on the History Channel which talked about this, but was mainly about the whole Da Vinci Code controversy/mystery. But I find that stuff to be very interesting. I am such a dork!! :-)

5/25/2006 11:55 AM  
Blogger Rusty said...

It DOES come in novel form, and it's incredible. I never understood Bible stories all that well, but all that changed when I read it. It's called "The Book of God", and I have it at home. :)

5/25/2006 2:15 PM  
Blogger B. said...

Actually Rusty, I have it. :) I really need to give it back to you though because I've had it for a long time.

JG-While I don't agree with you about the Bible, I can recommend the NIV or the New Living Translation versions. Personally, I use the NLT Life Application Study Bible for my devotions. This will be the end of my schpiel (spelling?) about this topic because I don't like to argue. :)

5/25/2006 3:40 PM  
Blogger Mr. A said...

"I was raised Catholic, and remained that way until I reached the age of reason"

-G. Carlin


Pretty much sums it up for me.

The bible is a great book and very enjoyable. Much like the huge book of Greek Mythlogy I have.

I recomend the book I'm reading now..

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0060738170/sr=8-1/qid=1148590656/ref=pd_bbs_1/104-9398189-0275131?%5Fencoding=UTF8

I'll lend it to you when I'm gone ;-)

5/25/2006 5:02 PM  
Blogger Mr. A said...

Not "gone"....

done


You don't have to wait till I drop dead....

5/25/2006 5:02 PM  
Blogger Jenny G said...

Thanks for the suggestions, guys! I knew you all would come through, and I got another recommendation from my friend at work.

B, hurry up and return the book! :)

Damn, Annoyed! I thought I was going to have to come over there and assassinate you to read the book! :)

5/25/2006 9:42 PM  
Blogger Rusty said...

Wow, Annoyed! She's going to assassinate you, not just kill you! Assassinations are only for important people, so I guess you rate! Good job! :)

Jenny, I'll lend you the book when B. gives it back. I suppose that'll be late July. Sorry.

5/25/2006 9:54 PM  
Blogger Jenny G said...

That's fine. I have PLENTY to read till then.

5/25/2006 10:24 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home