Sunday, March 26, 2006

You Win Some, You Lose Some

Yesterday I watched 2 movies: Rent and Failure to Launch. I had seen the stage production of Rent with Constantine Maroulis (sorry, but I have to mention that every time I mention that I saw Rent) about 3 years ago. I liked it well enough, but I was a little confused (mostly because the sound quality wasn't too good at the theater and I couldn't hear the lyrics well) and it's hard for me to sit still in an uncomfortable theater seat for 2 hours and 40 minutes. I thought the movie was really good though. I can understand how Rentheads wouldn't like it, but it was fine for a casual viewer like me, someone who didn't notice and doesn't care that a song or two was cut out. The only quibble I had with the movie was that there was a scene with Roger on a cliff in the desert of Santa Fe complete with panning, rotating cameras which was tres cheesy. But other than that, I like the music, and I loved almost everyone's voice. It also cleared up some things that I didn't understand from the play. Very well done.

Failure to Launch could have very well been called Failure to Not Suck Massive Ass. My mom recommended this movie to me, and I'm beginning to think she hates me. I despise romantic comedies; I find them neither romantic nor comedic. I also hate when "realistic" movies have random absurd moments. This movie had people getting bitten by a dolphin, a mockingbird, a lizard, and a chipmunk. I apologize if I left out some other random animal that bit someone. On the spectrum of types of humor, slapstick is on the complete opposite end from what I like.

Plus, Sarah Jessica Parker annoys me, mainly because she thinks she's 2 decades younger than she is. There's nothing wrong with being 41! Incidently, she just turned 41 yesterday. I hope she's happy that I spent her birthday watching her POS movie! I was so livid that I spent $8 to see this movie, although I think my anger was PMS-related since I almost cried yesterday during Rent when Angel died and for whatever reason I felt sad when my cashier at the grocery store who had laryngitis told me she only had 1 hour left to work. I got home last night right before Sex and the City came on Fox, so I thought I'd watch in hopes that it was one of the early ones before Carrie became a selfish raging bitch. Of course it had to the one where Carrie's computer breaks and Aidan buys her a new one and she yells at him, which also happens to be the one where Miranda's mom died. I cried, but I think it was as much for my lost $8 as it was for Miranda's mom.

2 Comments:

Blogger Lebatron said...

Sarah Jessica annoys the hell out of me. I agree holeheartedly with your first couple lines on your last paragraph about her.

Moreover, you should have known Failure to Launch would be a bad movie by just watching the previews.

If you're still up for going to the movies, I would suggest V for Vendetta. It's not a GREAT movie, but it's almost there. It's a good movie and one that everyone should definatly watch. Check it out.

3/26/2006 12:02 PM  
Blogger Jenny G said...

Yeah, I should have known. I wouldn't mind seeing V for Vendetta, but I don't know if my friends will go with me.

3/27/2006 10:35 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home