Friday, March 24, 2006

YAY!!!

"We're the Mario Brothers and plumbing's our game/We're not like the others who get all the fame."


Every now and then I start talking about something that I remember from my childhood, and people look at me like I'm crazy which makes me think that I was insane as a child and made things up. One of the things was The Super Mario Brothers Super Show. No one I've ever talked to (except possibly Rusty) remembers this show. I was looking something up on Wikipedia trying to prove Chris wrong about something (Rusty knows this is a common occurrence in our house, and believe it or not, I was actually wrong for once, although it was only about whether the guy from Super Smash Brothers Melee's name was Mr. Game and Match or Mr. Game and Watch, so it wasn't anything important, of course.) and I followed some links and ended up on the page for this show. I was pleasantly surprised to find out that not only did it exist, and not only is it being released on DVD, but it is being released next Tuesday, and Netflix has it! How weird is it that it's being released 5 days after I think about it and look it up? Cue the Twilight Zone music.

People in the York area need to diligently check their newspapers for my letter, probably on Sunday. There was a column in the Viewpoints section last Sunday about the Red State Oscars. It was written by that author who wrote Help! Mom! There Are Liberals Under My Bed!. Now, I don't have a problem with someone having a different opinion than I do, but the amount of misinformation and propaganda in this column pissed me off. For example, this woman bitched that the song "Ring of Fire" was snubbed for an Oscar, but the Oscar is for best original song. She also bitched that the things that won had no family values and that Joaquin Phoenix is family-friendly and should have won, and I had to point out that
Mr. Phoenix was in rehab last April and that I wasn't aware that alcoholism was a better family value than homosexuality. She also lambasted homosexuals, which I hate (the lambasting, not the homosexuals). I don't have a problem with not agreeing with their lifestyle, but to hate a person for being gay is unacceptable. It's that whole hate the sin, not the sinner thing.

I would be more than happy to post my letter, but I can't find a copy of the column online, and it won't make much sense out of context. I think they might actually publish it though, because I got an e-mail on Tuesday asking me to call to confirm my letter for publication. I don't know if they just do that for everyone or not, but we'll find out. I told my parents about it and my dad asked if I signed my real name. I guess he knows about my tendency to be opinionated/bitchy/out-spoken/a bleeding-heart liberal/angry and is worried that I might tarnish our family name or something. Granted, he does have a bunch of extremely conservative friends, and he did teach high school for 37 years, so a lot of people know him, and we do have a rare last name, but still. I never make an ass out of myself! *Waits for people to finish rolling eyes* He should be glad I had to cut it from 600 to 300 words! I had much more to say than I did. I'm a little worried about any responses I might get, not from people who disagree with me, but from intelligent people who might find as many inaccuracies in my letter as I found in hers, although I did massive amounts of research since I wanted to make sure if I wrote something, I had it right. Also, if someone busts on me, I can't respond since you're only allowed to write 1 letter a month. If I don't blog after Sunday, you know it's because my letter was published and an angry mob broke my door down with a battering ram and forced me to die a slow, torturous death by making me watch Fox News.

6 Comments:

Blogger Rusty said...

I'll be looking for it...and keeping it away from my dad. So far he still loves you more than he loves me.

3/25/2006 9:53 AM  
Blogger Jenny G said...

It's not bad. It's nothing that would make your dad disown me as his favorite daughter :). My dad didn't even read it when he asked if I signed my name. I'll send it to you so you can prepare, but seriously, it's not really anything that should offend anyone. Did you read that column thingy last Sunday? I couldn't find it online, but I saved that part of the paper.

3/25/2006 10:49 AM  
Blogger Rusty said...

No, I didn't get to read it...I didn't know anything about it except what you told me, but the lady sounds like a fool.

I loved what you wrote, and I'm so proud. :) My dad probably won't even notice it, but it certainly wouldn't make him love you any less.

3/25/2006 11:39 AM  
Blogger Mr. A said...

"I don't have a problem with not agreeing with their lifestyle"


You sort of lost me there Jenny...


That's the whole root of the problem in my opinion. To define it as a "lifestyle"

To refer to it as a "style" implies a choice in the matter. Like anyone would choose to be gay.

Homosexuals were born gay and had no say in that... People who put down there sexuality and lable it as a lifestyle are hiding behind language to hide their intolerance and utter ignorance.

NOT AT ALL SAYING THAT IS WHAT YOU ARE DOING!!!!

(please believe that, I don't need another angry blog in my direction)

I think we all have gotten so used to that "lifestyle" comment that it's become part of our collective thought pattern as a society and worked its' way into our collective language....I even catch myself saying it.

I very glad you took that ass to task and I hope they publish your letter. Your father should be proud to have raised such a free thinking strong headed woman.

The sooner everyone develops a ZERO tolerance policy in regards to any and all disaproval of homosexuals and their "lifesyles" the better off for all IMO.

Rage on!

3/26/2006 3:48 AM  
Blogger Jenny G said...

I see your point. Just chalk it up to a bad word choice. I know that people don't choose to be homosexual, which to me makes it all the more reprehensible that people hate people for being gay. I think being a homophobe is right up there with being racist.

3/27/2006 10:40 AM  
Blogger katiedid said...

If you do get published, take a picture! And if there's an online link, do be sure to give us a heads up, okay? That is awesome. And you are awesome for writing that letter and pointing that stuff out.

4/01/2006 5:44 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home