Monday, March 06, 2006

The Oscars

Apparently my blogger buddies who stay up later than I do had some of the same thoughts that I did. I wanted to tell Rusty that Luke Wilson did indeed look bloated and that Owen Wilson's voice is annoying as hell. I agree with Dim that there were way too many montages. I thought Jon Stewart was funny, although he seemed a little nervous. This year was unusual for me in that I've seen a bunch of the movies that were nominated for different things (Walk the Line, Crash, March of the Penguins, The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe). I haven't seen any of the other best picture nominees, but I thought Crash was good but sort of hokey. Not really Oscar material in my opinion.

I wanted Amy Adams to win Best Supporting Actress to send some publicity to The Office. And yes, Dim, she did look hot last night. George Clooney must have come a long way from the Doug Ross head down/eyes up pose. I didn't stay up for the announcement of the Best Picture category, but I heard it on the radio, and Jack Nicholson sounded tore up from the floor up. "It's Hard Out Here for a Pimp" was definitely an interesting choice for winner, although the competition wasn't that difficult. Those guys didn't really know how to handle themselves at a more sophisticated awards show.

7 Comments:

Blogger Meadow said...

I turned the Oscars on ten minutes late and then I was in an out of it all night. I even missed my baby, so I had to rewind until I saw him and will watch the show again for any takes of him in the audience that I missed.

I was expecting something diferent from Jon but maybe he was just nervous.

And the pimp thing ... I saw Terence Howard, Queen Latifah, and Jamie Foxx applauding that like it was some milestone for hip hop. Personally, I was embarrassed by it. There are more than enough people in the world who think that black folks are just pimps, thugs, and bitches. I'm personally offended by that.

At the same time, if I try really hard not to make it personal, I understand that lifestyle is real for some people and their stories deserve to be told just like the seedy characters from other ethnic groups have their stories told.

Maybe it's just hard for me because I know that most of the ignorant (I don't mean that in a bad way) people who don't know *real* people in the black community look at that stuff and think it's all of us.

*sigh*

It inspires me to work harder on my own art. So I can be a contrasting voice. A different perspective.

Thank you for letting me rant. :)

3/06/2006 8:44 AM  
Blogger Jenny G said...

I totally agree with what you're saying. It was cool that they won, and you could see their excitement, but it seems like they were a novelty for the people in the audience. I think there's a time and a place for acting like that. That would have been fine at the VMAs, but not the Oscars. It sort of made them look like fools. Not that they had to come out with monocles and ascots, but they didn't really further the cause.

Don't worry. In a few years you'll go up on stage to accept your Grammy (or maybe even an Oscar) from Keanu, and he'll give you a big kiss like that one guy did to Halle Berry.

It made me laugh that you watched the whole thing just to get a glimpse of him in the audience; that's totally something I would do! :)

3/06/2006 11:03 AM  
Blogger B. said...

Favorite part of the Oscars-Jon Stewart, "Bjork couldn't be here tonight because she was trying on her dress and Dick Cheney shot her." LOL

3/06/2006 4:25 PM  
Blogger Caroline said...

I loved Jon Stewart but I agree with what you've said. My friend and I were talking over lunch today about how he is so smart,witty, and sarcastic, and that alot of his humor is hard to get at first. I didn't see Crash,and I couldn't believe that it won...But whatever. I did see Capote and I really enjoyed that..So happy that Philip Seymour Hoffman won.

3/06/2006 7:24 PM  
Blogger Meadow said...

Jenny, you've got me grinning so wide. :)

And in my haste, I hope I didn't sound like there isn't any decent art coming from the black community. We do have Alicia Keys, Jill Scott, Eryka, India Arie, and countless others who are out there representing. I didn't mean to imply that I'm the only one making respectable music. lol

Peace and thanks for understanding.

3/07/2006 8:22 AM  
Blogger Jenny G said...

B: Yeah, that was hilarious! I also liked when they did that self-righteous montage about serious issues that Hollywood has tackled, and at the end Jon was like, "And none of these issues were ever a problem again."

Caroline: I agree. I think Jon's subtle, east coast liberal humor clashes with the in-your-faceness of Hollywood. You're the only person I know who has seen Capote :) I do like PSH; maybe I'll check it out.

Goddess: I know you weren't saying that :) I guarantee you none of those women you mentioned would have made spectacles of themselves onstage.

3/07/2006 9:51 AM  
Blogger Caroline said...

I think that you would enjoy the movie. Def worth the $8.75. :-)

3/08/2006 1:34 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home