Tuesday, March 07, 2006

The Apprentice and More W Bashing.

*Disclaimer: I'm in a really bad mood.

I swore I wouldn't watch "The Apprentice," but you see how long that lasted. What the hell kind of reward is going to a non-profit to size unemployed men for business suits? I'm all for that sort of thing (and it was actually sort of touching), but that's totally not what "The Apprentice" is about. There's supposed to be some yooge reward like diamonds or something. I can't believe this show is on season 5 already. Hasn't it only been on for like, 2 years? Donald Trump isn't even a person; he's such a caricature.

I officially hate the American Red Cross. Chris has given blood before, and they have been calling us pretty much every night lately. I don't answer our phone because we get so many calls from charities, but almost every night we get a call that goes something like, "Hello, this is the Red Cross. Hello?? Are you there?" It's like they know we screen. One night I actually did answer the phone because I was upstairs and wouldn't have been able to hear the machine, and when I said Chris was unavailable the guy was like, "Tell him it's the Red Cross. He'll know what it's about." I'm starting to wonder about what shady dealings Chris has with them. I'm thinking of writing a letter, but I doubt it will make a difference. It really pisses me off that I don't want to answer the phone that I pay for because of that, and since it's a charity they're exempt from Do Not Call. It's almost like harassment. Seriously, that sort of shit makes me not want to donate anything ever.

I watched a little bit of a new show on ABC called "Miracle Workers" last night. There was a guy on it who became blind when he was about 12 because they gave him penicillin and he was severely allergic to it. They were able to restore his sight using stem cells. This pissed me the hell off because here we have this wonderful medical resource and Curious George is trying to block its use. I'm sure there's some conservative religious reason for not wanting to use stem cells that I will never understand, but I'm getting really tired of how much Bush is pushing his (and his father's) personal agendas. Sure, everyone is biased, but elected officials are supposed to represent the people who elected them, not themselves (which brings that argument that Bush was never really elected in 2000 in the first place, but we won't go there). I know there are people who read this who like Bush and voted for him, but I'd like someone to tell me one good thing he has done in his 6 years as president. The only thing I can this of it making Daylight Savings Time longer, but that doesn't count because who fucking cares? I really don't like the way our country is headed, and I have a bad feeling about things.

4 Comments:

Blogger Jenny G said...

I think there IS a middle ground, but right now our society is so extreme that the middle ground is pushed into the background. We're so divided with all this red state and blue state bullshit.

3/08/2006 1:00 PM  
Blogger katiedid said...

Oh my effing God - we have been harrassed by goddamn Red Cross too. Same thing. My husband likes to donate blood when there's a blood drive that is convinient for him to make, which is all well and good, and certainly quite necessary. And it's good for men especially to donate health-wise - women get a uh, monthly bloodletting, but men don't have that "option." I forget where I read it, likely SciAm, but it improves blood quality to shed a little now and again and force the body to replace it. Unfortunately, these fucking near-daily calls are BAD for my health, but I swear to god, my stress level raises in anger every flipping time they call now. I have explicitly asked them to stop calling, asked for a number to call, and told them HE will call THEM when he's ready. This is doing me no good. I have asked him that from now on if he's going to insist on donating that he leave them his cell phone number instead of our home phone number, because I WILL reach my foot through the receiver and start kicking at them if they continue to pester me.

And I for one hate Daylight Savings Time. I am the crankiest person alive apparently, because it seems like everyone else approves of it.

3/09/2006 5:29 PM  
Blogger Jenny G said...

God, at least it's not just us. don't understand why they think that is a good tactic. We used to periodically get messages saying, "There is an upcoming blood drive such and such time at such and such place." That's fine. Calling us every day? REALLY not fine.

3/09/2006 6:00 PM  
Blogger Meadow said...

I came to see you if you'd replied to my comment and then I didn't see my comment and I remembered that when I tried to leave it, blogger was freaking out and now I don't remember what my comment would have been. :)

Have a marvelous weekend. I expect to resume regular blogging next week.

PEACE

3/10/2006 8:23 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home