Saturday, March 29, 2008

Fuck You, Melville Dewey

Photobucket

I had my last class from hell today!!! What did I learn? That I do not want to be a cataloger. This class has pretty much consumed my life for the past 2 months, and now all I have to do is write a 3-page paper by the end of April...and await the grade from my final *gulp*. As of right now, I have an 89.3% in the class, so unless I royally fuck up the final and the paper, I'm good to go. Not too shabby, considering at one point I had a 60%. He took a picture of us that I'll post as soon as he posts it unless I look like ass, which I probably do. Who wouldn't look like ass after spending almost 14 hours discussing the finer points of Library of Congress Subject Headings, Sears subject headings, Dewey, DDC call numbers, Cutter numbers, and Library of Congress Classification. I'm 1/4 of the way finished and by Christmas I'll be halfway there! Woot!

And be warned: if you tell me the Dewey Decimal System isn't used anymore, I'm going to punch you in the face.

At least I get to look forward to Rusty and V.'s visit to York next week!

Labels:

7 Comments:

Blogger j said...

Of course the Dewey Decimal System is still used--at least up here in most of our public libraries--the universities don't though.

And after all, you might need that knowledge when you move here after the presidential election of 2012 moves Jeb Bush into the White House.

3/30/2008 10:45 AM  
Blogger Rusty said...

*shudders* I'm never going to grad school. It sounds so horrible.

When do you graduate?

HUZZAH! to seeing you in like, three days! Woot!

3/30/2008 11:09 AM  
Blogger B. said...

I've never heard of Cutter numbers, but I do remember learning about the Dewey Decimal system in my 6th grade Library Skills class--probably my least favorite class in elementary school.

3/30/2008 3:13 PM  
Blogger B. said...

Hope you have a great time with Rusty and V.! Take pictures to post or email.

3/30/2008 3:14 PM  
Blogger March2theSea said...

ummm you are wrong..i went to the liberry w/little mahhhch and there is no way the Dewey Decimal System is used anymore.

hahah..there I said it...*awaits punch*

i kid i kiiiiiiiiid.

3/31/2008 10:18 AM  
Blogger Dim said...

What's a library?

3/31/2008 10:59 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ugh! A foreshadowing of things to come! Good luck on final.

3/31/2008 8:27 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home