Monday, November 12, 2007

Strike!

I'm not completely sure how I feel about unions. While I certainly think workers' rights are important, most of us have two choices when faced with undesirable working conditions: quit or suck it up. Because of the writers' strike, 102 people who worked on the set of The Office have been laid off, like hair and make-up people and camera operators. That really fires me up because I don't give a rat's ass what people do unless it affects others, and this is starting to affect others. In this case, writers, who don't make tons of money but make way more than, say, a make-up artist, go on strike. The network heads don't give a shit because they're rolling in money, as are the actors. Who suffers? The "little guys."

Another thing that is pissing the shit out of me is how everyone is licking the actors' feet for joining the picket lines. First of all, according to their SAG contracts, they have to continue to report to work even if the writers are striking, so they're breaking their contracts (unless they also happen to be writers, like Tina Fey). Secondly, actors make scads more money than anyone else working in television. What would your employers say if the teachers in your area were striking and you decided to skip work to go walk on the picket line to support them? Way to be, actors. Breaking your contract and refusing to work when you have multi-million dollar cushions. Here's a fucking cookie; now get back to work. Third, Eva Longoria brought the picketers Domino's Pizza. If that whore brought me nasty-ass Domino's pizza I'd shove it into an orifice where pizza isn't shoved. Well, except for during nights of drunken debauchery, but I'll leave my Saturday nights out of this.

Damn, I'm pissy tonight. End of rant.

Labels: ,

3 Comments:

Blogger Meadow said...

Well, I don't know anything about SAG contracts but it does make me VERY sad that other crew members, many of whom are hourly, are being ill-affected by this.

And if they start bombarding us with a bunch of shitty reality shows again, we will suffer too. :)

11/12/2007 9:23 PM  
Blogger March2theSea said...

yeah I heard today that late night shows are taking a hit..crews of over 100 are all "not working". Crazy.

11/13/2007 12:05 PM  
Blogger Steve H said...

not a union guy per se, as i agree with the quit or deal with it comment.

11/15/2007 9:13 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home