Saturday, May 19, 2007

One Year Closer to Death

"Ticking away the moments that make up a dull day
You fritter and waste the hours in an off-hand way
Kicking around on a piece of ground in your home town
Waiting for someone or something to show you the way"

Well, today is the big 2-6. I'm officially in my late 20s. How depressing is that?! I'm going over to my parents' house for dinner and an Oreo cake from Maggie Moo's tonight. I took Monday off to go to IKEA. Birthdays just aren't the same once you're over 21. Remember that, kiddos.

"Tired of lying in the sunshine staying home to watch the rain
You are young and life is long and there is time to kill today
And then one day you find ten years have got behind you
No one told you when to run, you missed the starting gun"

*Office spoiler* The Office season finale was pretty good Thursday night. I loved the ending. It would have been cheesy if they had done another kiss, but Jim's silent realization and drive home to ask Pam out were nice. I wonder what Karen is going to think when she realizes Jim left her in New York? I thought she'd get the job since Rashida Jones is going to be in a sitcom next season. I guess we'll find out in four months. In other Office news, Jenna Fischer broke her back while she was walking down a marble staircase in high heels. The article I read said she's expected to make a full recovery and it won't affect next season's Office. Here's hoping that she has a speedy recovery!

"And you run and you run to catch up with the sun, but its sinking
And racing around to come up behind you again
The sun is the same in the relative way, but you're older
Shorter of breath and one day closer to death"

Congratulations to my Bears for winning the East Division Final. Game 1 of the Eastern Conference final against the Manchester Monarchs is tonight. Good luck, guys!

"Every year is getting shorter, never seem to find the time
Plans that either come to naught or half a page of scribbled lines
Hanging on in quiet desperation is the English way
The time is gone, the song is over, thought Id something more to say"

I heard on the radio station that the receptionist at work listens to that R. Kelly compared himself to Bob Marley, Marvin Gaye, and Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. Yeah, I'm pretty sure that MLKJ never pissed on a 14-year-old. What a tool.

I just finished reading Jesus Land by Julia Scheeres. It was an amazing book! Actually, and I probably shouldn't be saying this, I read about 200+ pages at work on Wednesday because it was an extremely slow day. It's a memoir about Julia's life growing in a white family living in the Midwest with two adopted black children and her close friendship with one of her adopted brothers. Her parents, devout Christians, send them to a reform school in the Dominican Republic, which isn't any better than their life of emotional and verbal abuse at home. I highly recommend the book.

Labels: , , , , , , ,

9 Comments:

Blogger Karen said...

Happy Birthday!! I understand what you mean about the late 20s. For some reason, 27 was the year that undid me. After that, 30 was no big deal and even 40 wasn't that bad. Regardless, a trip to IKEA is the perfect way to celebrate! Take a picture of any cute stuff you buy and post it. ;)

I've had Jesusland on my bookshelf for a while and haven't gotten around to reading it. I always have to push myself to read non-fiction, but then am so happy I did once I do it. I'm moving it to the top of the list.

I really liked the "Office" finale and am relieved it wasn't cheesy or annoying. For me that subtle realization at the end was almost as powerful as the big smooch last year. I'm anxious to see how it all shakes out this fall and where Jan winds up.

Enough babbling. Hope you have a wonderful weekend!

5/19/2007 12:30 PM  
Blogger Meadow said...

Happy Birthday, JennyG!

5/19/2007 5:33 PM  
Blogger B. said...

Happy Birthday!! (I'll be the big 2-6 in a little less than 4 months)It's funny that you just read Jesus Land. I was looking at that at the book store yesterday and thought it looked like a good read. I had never heard of it before yesterday!

5/20/2007 2:32 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Happy bday!

5/20/2007 7:25 PM  
Blogger Dim said...

Happy birthday!!

That final look to the camera from Ryan was perfect!

5/20/2007 8:46 PM  
Blogger Rusty said...

HAPPY BIRTHDAY!! I didn't forget, but I feel horrible that I didn't call!!

I love you lots, and I'll call soon.

5/20/2007 9:32 PM  
Blogger March2theSea said...

hey.
happy b'day.
Try to catch a game of the bears/monarchs. There are 2 freaking a-hole "BUMS" that on manchester we hated in providence.

O'Sullivan (doesn't get a ton of ice time) and Nolan. Nolan plays Defense and is whiney baby..fans will eat him up.

Good luck Bears.

5/21/2007 9:51 AM  
Blogger Caroline said...

Happy Birthday Jenny!! Dude, I'm 26 and will be 27 this year. Don't get depressed, just remind yourself that you are a full year younger than people like me! :-) Hehe.

I thought it was funny that Jim left Karen in NY.

5/21/2007 1:38 PM  
Blogger j said...

Meh--I've got two decades on you, infant.

:-)

Happy Birthday, nonetheless!

I liked 26, if I recall.

J.

5/23/2007 10:16 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home