Saturday, September 23, 2006

More Office Thoughts

Here is an interesting article in Slate about versions of The Office from France and Germany and how they differ from the British and US versions. One point the writer makes is that British people tend to have a more glum outlook on life than Americans do, which makes sense. It reminds me of the line from Pink Floyd's "Time," "Hanging on in quiet desperation is the English way." I've never really been able to explain the difference between the UK and US versions to people who haven't seen them. I understand why original fans of the UK version wouldn't like the US one. I watched season 1 of the US, then all of the UK version, then season 2 of the US. I love them both in different ways.

As for Thursday night's show, a lot of people seemed to love it. I need to watch it again, but I lent my tape to a co-worker so that will have to wait till next week. I still stand by my over-the-top judgment though.

My season 2 DVD FINALLY came last night (damn you, Amazon), so I started watching the deleted scenes and commentaries today. I really wish it were an hour-long show.

5 Comments:

Blogger Steve H said...

"I love them both in different ways" is a perfect way to put it.

9/24/2006 6:49 AM  
Blogger pog mo thoin said...

I watched the UK version first so I am partial but, truth be told, I haven't seen enough of the US version. I am going to get the DVD of the US version upon your recommendation.

9/24/2006 4:36 PM  
Blogger Jenny G said...

Hotwire: It's like your love for your kids vs. your love for you spouse.

Pog: Yay, another potential convert!

9/25/2006 8:09 PM  
Blogger katiedid said...

ON the basis of this post I finally checked out the first season of the UK version (seriously, the OR library system is awesome.) It's all your fault I did it - thank you :)

10/29/2006 1:49 AM  
Blogger Jenny G said...

Did you watch it yet? Isn't it hilarious?

10/29/2006 9:37 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home