Monday, September 25, 2006

American Idol Review

Here's my "just the facts, ma'am" review:

Pop Tarts presents American Idols Live (no, the irony of the sponsor isn't lost on me)
September 19, 2006
Giant Center
Hershey, PA

Pre-show: My dad dropped my mom off at my work and we headed to the McDonald's in Hershey to get dinner. It took us about 20 minutes to get from the parking lot of McDonald's back to the main road (about 1000 feet). I was not pleased. Our seats were situated in front of 5 10-year-old girls who shrieked the whole time. The shrieking actually hurt my ears. I'm never having children. At least not girls.

Banter: Everyone did the mandatory banter about how much they love chocolate, Mandisa talked to us about god, and Kellie seemed like a 5-year-old trying to remember her lines in the school play.

Show: The show started with Mandisa doing "I'm Every Woman" then "If I Was (BIG grammar pet peeve) Your Woman." She moved on to some drecky song (I believe it might be called "I'm Your Angel") during which Ace came out to join her. Ace then sang "Father Figure," complete with strange chest pumping then did "Harder to Breathe" where he tried to headbang. I've come to the conclusion that Ace is like a puppy who pees on the floor. You're not happy about the peeing, but he's so cute that you forgive him. Then you sleep with him. Ace, not the puppy. Ace introduced Lisa who did "Signed, Sealed, Delivered," "Your Song," and "Someone Saved My Life Tonight." She was playing the keyboard, but it kept playing when she walked away. Lisa introduced Paris and they did a duet of "Waterfalls," then Paris did "Midnight Train to Georgia" and "Crazy in Love."

Bucky did "Superstitious," "Drift Away," and dueted with Kellie on "You're the One That I Want." Kellie did "I'm the Only One" and "Walking After Midnight."

After intermission Chris did "Wanted Dead or Alive," "Whole Lotta Love," and "Renegade." He played guitar semi-competently, but there is no comparison between Styx doing "Renegade" and Chris doing it. I speak from experience. Chris started to sing some crappy modern rock song and Elliott came out to join him.

Elliott did "Moody's Mood for Love" and two other songs I didn't know; one may have been called "Trouble." Elliott, Chris, Ace, and Bucky sang "Patience" together and it was surprisingly good. After that Katharine came out and did "Black Horse, Cherry Tree," "Think," and "Somewhere Over the Rainbow." Taylor ran down to the stage via the row next to us singing "Jailhouse Rock." It would have been cool if I didn't despise him. He did some songs I didn't know, "Taking it to the Streets," and his shitty single, "Do I Make You Proud."

Then group came out and sang "We Are the Champions" and a song about America. I can't remember the name of it for the life of me but I do remember that Ace did something with his hips that gave me the tinglies.

Overall the show was decent, but I wish I had seen this before Styx, because I think that is the cause of some of my lack of excitement. I have to give everyone except Kellie props; they all improved a lot since the show. Even Taylor didn't annoy me as much as he did on TV.

Sorry this is so poorly written, but I realize most of you don't care and I just cranked it out so I could return to my Office marathon :).

7 Comments:

Blogger Dim said...

OK, I was on vacation the last few days and totally missed the Office premier.

Your little diatribe on Ace in this review was beyond hysterical.

A little side-note...this tour was in Portland, ME this week (where I was vacationing) and as we were driving downtown, we saw Elliott walking down one of the main drags with some chick.

- D.

9/24/2006 6:41 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I sooo can not stand the Australian Idol here and I'm not to fond of American Idol though it's much better than Australain Idol...

sorry,

RR

9/25/2006 2:07 AM  
Blogger March2theSea said...

thank you for sharing..now I need to go rinse the puke outta my mouth.

-love ya
March

9/25/2006 9:12 AM  
Blogger Jenny G said...

Dim: You can always just get it on iTunes. Thanks :) That's cool that you saw Elliott. Ohhh, I wonder who the mystery girl is!

Ramblin': It's ok. March rags on it all the time.

March: :P

9/25/2006 8:08 PM  
Blogger Steve H said...

ok, i have to know, why do you hate taylor, who is perhaps the most talented person the show has ever seen? he's not fake, he has the best song selection by any AI contestant ever, and more pure talent than the rest of the group combined (well, maybe except for kat).

why, jenny, why!!!!!

9/26/2006 7:14 AM  
Blogger Jenny G said...

Hot: I feel almost the opposite way about Taylor. I think a lot of his schtick is put on. I liked him in his audition but he totally lost me when he came into the "chair room" with the harmonica. I love dynamic performers, but his dancing made me want to claw my eyes out. His voice is good and I agree that he probably has more musical talent in his little finger than most of the other contestants have in their whole bodies. I wasn't crazy about his song choices. I think it has to do (at least in part) with the fact that you like Michael McDonald and I don't. He's totally Michael part II. No one this year excited me. I know I go on about Ace, but I literally cringed sometimes when he sang. Bring back Bo!

9/26/2006 8:54 PM  
Blogger Steve H said...

i think you're right - his songs are my songs and that's part of the attraction.

9/27/2006 6:24 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home