Sunday, November 20, 2005

Listen to the Words, People!

We were having a discussion on Off the Pace about stupid commercials that led to a discussion of inappropriate songs being used in commercials. "Dust in the Wind" being used for an SUV commercial was mentioned. People totally missing the point of song lyrics is a huge pet peeve of mine. It's surprising that I can even watch American Idol since things like Carrie Underwood singing "Piece of my Heart" with a huge grin on her face are commonplace.

"You Ain't Seen Nothing Yet" by BTO is used in a car commercial; it's about sex. "There She Goes" is used in a birth control ad and it's a song about heroin.

I have to admit, much to my chagrin, that I really like Gwen Stefani's new song, "Luxurious," although I wonder if any of the teenyboppers' parents realize that it's about being rich from growing weed, or for that matter, if the teenyboppers themselves realize it. I'm surprised they don't censor it on the radio, considering some of the other stupid stuff they censor.

I know that as soon as I post this, I'll think of a lot more examples, but please feel free to name your examples.

7 Comments:

Blogger Meadow said...

I Believe I Can Fly being used for ... was it the postal service?

11/21/2005 9:49 AM  
Blogger Jenny G said...

LOL I don't remember that one, but that makes no sense whatsoever :).

11/21/2005 11:19 AM  
Blogger Rusty said...

Goddess, I don't mean to start something with you, but wasn't it Fly Like an Eagle because the eagle is the logo of the USPS? I really hesitated posting this, because I didn't want you to think I'm busting on you. :) I'm totally not. Just adding my thoughts...I could be totally wrong, too. If you ARE correct, then damn, that has NOTHING to do with the postal service.

11/21/2005 7:45 PM  
Blogger Rusty said...

Pretty fitting, huh, omess? :)

11/21/2005 10:28 PM  
Blogger Meadow said...

Busting on me? Please. I'm not so sensitive.

Fly like an eagle was one, too, but I know I believe I can fly was used for something totally inappropriate. I thought it was the postal service which is why in my post I said "was it the postal service?"

11/22/2005 9:52 AM  
Blogger Jenny G said...

Is that what that song's really about, omess? I know it says, "I don't mind you coming here, wasting all my time," and "I needed someone to bleed."

11/22/2005 11:51 AM  
Blogger Rusty said...

Sorry Goddess...I didn't mean anything by it. :) I just don't like offending people, so I tiptoe around things. Anything by R Kelly is generally pretty inappropriate for any type of commercial use, so I understand.

11/22/2005 6:29 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home