Thursday, July 28, 2005

A Glimpse Into Our Old Apartment Complex

We moved in February from a ghetto apartment complex into a nice, 2-bedroom house. We only pay about $50 more a month now. There were many interesting occurrences at our old place. We had a neighbor who we called White Trash Neighbor. He never wore a shirt and always had a beer in hand. He had the cutest daughter who was about 2 years old. My boyfriend's mom still lives at that complex and called us a couple weeks ago to tell us that she heard WTN screaming profanities and breaking glass while his daughter was yelling, "Daddy, please stop!"

Our neighbors across the hall were a bunch of college kids who were always coming home at all hours of the night drunk and screaming. They got evicted after an incident one night when they were fighting right outside our window and the cops were called. The next morning there was a trail of blood from outside to their door. One night the old guy who lived next to them regulated and the girl was crying and whining. Priceless.

My friend came over to my place one afternoon and said there was some guy sitting in his car staring. He was still there that night doing the same thing.

The pool was right outside our window as well. Some drunk fat guy used to always jump into the pool and then run away at 2 AM. One night there were a bunch of drunk people skinny dipping in the pool. To provide some entertainment for myself, I called the cops and then sat at my window and watched the proceedings. I didn't even care that they were there, I was just being my passive-aggressive self.

The complex liked to have pool parties. These consisted of drunk rednecks singing karaoke to country music.

Speaking of rednecks singing karaoke, WTN used to blast "Total Eclipse of the Heart" and sing along.

There were always ghetto kids outside breaking things, screaming, and playing catch in the middle of the parking lot. Things were always getting broken or defaced. Someone wrote "Bitch" on my car in the snow, which was weird because I kept to myself and only ranted to myself in the privacy of my own home. There were also always "Fast and the Furious" guys revving the engines of their pathetic cars in the parking lot.

Right after we moved out, a 15-year-old girl burned her apartment down at 11 AM on a school day because she was at home smoking.

I peruse apartmentratings.com from time to time to see what people have to say about places I've lived/visited. All of the ratings for our old complex are bad except for one. This is what the rater that person had to say. It has been unedited except to remove the name of the complex.

"make sure u move 2 (name of apartment complex) ---- wat da otha peeple think
nice as hell ghetto as ---- fun apartments are mad nice been liven there 4 6 years neva had aproblem." *Please note that while this guy said he was "liven there 4 6 years," he entered that he lived there from 2005-2005. Perhaps he meant he was "liven there 4 6 munths."

That pretty much sums up my old apartment complex.

On an unrelated note, I still have the TV on after watching The Price is Right, and now there is a woman on talking about reforming gays. Grrr...

8 Comments:

Blogger Kate said...

Ha! We lived in an apartment like that too. I decided to move when I was 8 months pregnant and this large teenage girl asked me for money. Since I didn't have any, I said "Sorry, no" and kept walking. She PUSHED me off the sidewalk.

Other things that happened: walls were thin and we could hear all of our loud neighbors conversations. A guy downstairs kept getting calls from creditors and he would shout into the phone "I TOLD ya I ain't been workin steady!" over and over again. He also stole mail and packages, on one occasion trying to sell one of our own packages to my husband!

The woman next door had little kids and she cursed and screamed at them constantly. She also left a 1 year old outside in a diaper almost every day to sit in the dirt with a spoon as his only toy. Supposedly his older brother was "watching him". His older brother was 5. He was constantly being screamed at for not "watching his brother".

We also had a prostitute living downstairs who had millions of guys in and out all the time. Often they would wait outside in cars for some unknown reason. Sometimes they would try to break down her door, also screaming at her.

There was also a juvenile detention center for girls behind our building. Oddly, these girls were let out in packs to wander around at different times of the day and night. There were also roving packs of the teenage boys who loved the juve girls roaming around. Frequently there were large brawls between different groups and the police would come to break them up.

Ah, those were the days! :-)

7/28/2005 2:20 PM  
Blogger Meadow said...

O M G. Girl, that's bad. Very, very bad. But it's so funny I can't even laugh. I'm just glad you got out of there. In one piece.

7/28/2005 7:18 PM  
Blogger Berkeley G. said...

Wow. You could write a book about all of the different crazy people there! Very interesting.

7/29/2005 1:37 AM  
Blogger Jenny G said...

kate: That's hilarious!

goddess and berkeley: It was definitely craziness there. I'm so glad I'm out!

7/29/2005 11:35 AM  
Blogger j said...

Jenny, you have inspired me. Rather than writing a novel-length comment, I'm going to steal this topic and write one on my blog.

But you realize that you only disliked it there because you're some "depressed, introverted, observer, perfectionist, suspicious, irritable, rule-following, phobic party-hater"?

;-)

7/29/2005 12:03 PM  
Blogger msevangeline said...

dzang. I had it easy.

7/29/2005 4:39 PM  
Blogger katiedid said...

It's the last paragraph that's getting to me:

You are willing to 'fess up to watching The Price is Right. In public! Wow. You really must watch Happy Gilmore at some point, if you are a Bob Barker fan.

7/29/2005 6:06 PM  
Blogger Jenny G said...

J: I love your post too! You had some doozies!

Mess: I totally forgot about that!

K: Give it time. You have plenty of life left to live in hell holes.

katie: Are you kidding?! I've been watching TPIR since I can remember! :-)

7/29/2005 9:28 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home