Tuesday, July 05, 2005

Comfort Wins over Cheapness

I am unbelievably stingy. The only thing I'm really willing to spend money on is shoes, and even then, I'm happy to get 3 pairs at Target for $20. When I go to IKEA, I refuse to spend more than $5 on one item unless it's a piece of furniture. One of my most common phrases is, "I can get that cheaper at (insert name of store, usually Target or IKEA)." The house I live in now is the first place I ever lived where I had to pay the gas bill. When I opened my first $200 bill I almost passed out. Needless to say, I spent the winter freezing my buns off. I endured the heat over the past few days, but I've had enough. The A/C has been turned on. It is now 82 degrees in here, but I set the thermostat at 76 (my stingy ass usually sets it at 78). Right now I'm covered in sweat. I feel like I just got out of the shower except I'm not going to dry off. Ohhh, it just went down to 81.

I'm so excited for Martha Stewart's "Apprentice." I want to be her, minus the house arrest.

July Countdown: (the colors mean I'm excited)
8 work days till my week off
10 days till Charlie and the Chocolate Factory
11 days till crab feast
13 days till IKEA
14 days till Bo Bice

8 Comments:

Blogger j said...

My wife is planning a trip to Vancouver for us this summer, and while there are all sorts of good reasons she might give, I know that IKEA is behind it all...

Hmm--uncomfortable furniture you assemble yourself and 1970s-style macrame plant hangers...

(as you can see, our household isn't entirely in agreement on the place)

7/05/2005 11:23 PM  
Blogger Berkeley G. said...

Wow, your house sounds pretty hot. I'm almost the opposite. Mine has to be on at least 71 (at the very highest) and I have to have my ceiling fan and box fan going at the same time, or I can't function.

7/06/2005 3:01 AM  
Blogger Urban Chick said...

'snot fair - you get to see charlie and the chocolate factory in 10 days??

i want to live in america!!

7/06/2005 9:21 AM  
Blogger Jenny G said...

j: I like your wife! :-) Actually, one of my co-workers has a chair from IKEA and it's really comfortable. I have a couple things from IKEA that I've assembeled that are crooked. I don't know if it's IKEA's craftsmanship or my idiocy. I think it's a little bit of both.

berkeley: I can't stand being cold at all, but last night was the last straw for the heat.

urban: That's blasphemy to want to live in the US instead of England! :-) I'll let you know how it was when I see it.

7/06/2005 3:28 PM  
Blogger Meadow said...

Target? Too expensive for my blood. With $20, I could get 4 pair of shoes at Payless. I could pay more, but why? :)

Not stingy. Frugal, baby. Frugal. ;)

Ooh, and I can't wait to see Charlie and the Chocolate Factory! I'm so happy it's finally coming out.

7/07/2005 3:17 PM  
Blogger Jenny G said...

The thing about Payless is that you have to search for the shoes by size instead of having a big group of the same shoe.

I hope CatCF is good. It's kinda creepy that Johnny Depp looks like Michael Jackson.

7/07/2005 9:38 PM  
Blogger Meadow said...

LOL! I hadn't thought of that! He does look like MJ, all pasty. Depp was on the Today Show this morning. I was late for work just to watch it. Me likey some Mr. Depp. ;)

7/11/2005 7:10 PM  
Blogger Jenny G said...

He is quite good looking.

7/11/2005 8:57 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home