Thursday, July 14, 2005

10 Good Ones

I had originally titled this "My Top 10 Favorite Movies of All Time," but that's probably not accurate. The best title would be "10 Movies that I Really, Really Like That I Can Recall at the Moment."

Reservoir Dogs
As with all Quentin Tarantino movies, this one has great dialog. I love, "You shoot me in a dream, you better wake up and apologize." This is probably my least favorite of my three favorite Quentin movies, but I still like it nonetheless.

Pulp Fiction
This is my favorite of the three Quentin movies. Again with the great dialog, and Samuel L. Jackson is so cool

Jackie Brown
My second favorite. Pamela Grier, Samuel L. Jackson, and Robert DeNiro = awesome.

Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory
I'm seeing Charlie and the Chocolate Factory on Sunday, but I don't know if it'll measure up to the original. I love the fact that a city in Europe (don't know which one) is the setting. I usually fast forward past the beginning (especially the "Cheer up, Charlie" song) but I adore the parts in the factory.

Run Lola Run
I first watched this movie in The Art of the Film in college. It's such a high-energy, exciting movie. Franka Potente is awesome, and I love the way the German language sounds.

Breakfast Club
I know a lot of people don't like this movie and think it's hokey, but that doesn't bother me. It was the 80s after all. I still crack up at the part where Bender takes the screws out of the door and the hilarity that ensues after the principal finds out. "Screws fall out all the time. The world is an imperfect place." "Does Neil Diamond know you raided his closet?"

Rocky Horror Picture Show
I have the movie and the soundtrack. I think Tim Curry is unbelievably hot as Dr. Frank. I wanted to be like Magenta when I was in high school. Except for the elbow sex with the brother stuff.

Princess Bride
"Hello. My name is Inigo Montoya. You killed my father. Prepare to die." This movie has it all and has been one of my favorites for a long time.

Say Anything
Anyone who reads my blog knows my love for this movie, John Cusack, and Lloyd Dobler

Jesus Christ Superstar
I'm not a religious person at all, but I love this movie! I have the whole damn thing memorized (I own the soundtrack). I saw it at the theater in York with Ted Neeley (the man who played Jesus in the movie), and his voice was tore up from the floor up from all that screaming.

9 Comments:

Blogger Urban Chick said...

i really need to see 'say anything' on account of the delicious dentally-challenged john cusack

off to add it to my screen select list...

7/15/2005 7:17 AM  
Blogger Jenny G said...

It's a great movie!

7/15/2005 10:21 AM  
Blogger j said...

Some great choices--

Princess Bride would be on my top five, I was,for a while a "breakfast club" supervisor teacher on Saturdays, love Rocky Horror, and Reservoir Dogs is classic.

If you like Breakfast Club era movies, and John Cusack, I assume you've seen "The Sure Thing"...

7/15/2005 10:42 AM  
Blogger Urban Chick said...

ooooh oooooh! thanks, J!

another to add to my list

gosh, i'm very backward when it comes to movies featuring JC

7/15/2005 12:22 PM  
Blogger katiedid said...

I am both amused by, and appalled by, anything that Andrew Lloyd Webber has ever created. I haven't actually seen more than clips of the JCS movie, I must admit.

Have you seen Tom Tykwer's movie he made after Run Lola Run? The Princess and the Warrior is also a great film, though it has a much different rhythm to it.

And love Princess Bride, too, both movie and the book. Both are brilliant.

7/15/2005 3:19 PM  
Blogger Jenny G said...

j: Did you have any students like Bender? I haven't seen "The Sure Thing" but it's probably on my Netflix queue.

urban: I love it, but I'm admittedly a dork.

katie: I like show tunes, so ALW doesn't bother me too much. I didn't see Tom Tykwer's other movie or The Princess and the Warrior. I always wanted to read the Princess Bride book, but never got around to it.

7/15/2005 5:46 PM  
Blogger Berkeley G. said...

I've never seen any of the Quentin Tarantino films, although I've heard a lot about them.

I was forced to watch "Run Lola Run" once a long time ago and hated it, but then again, I was really young and couldn't look past the foreign dialogue.

I like the old "Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory," and I love Johnny Depp as a person and think he is so hot, etc. But in the previews for this movie he scares the living daylights out of me...he just seems creepy.

I love "Breakfast Club," "Rocky Horror Picture Show," and I've heard a whole lot about "Princess Bride." My first cousins always say "We grew up on Princess Bride...where were you?" As if I watched everything that they did.

7/15/2005 8:10 PM  
Blogger Jenny G said...

His movies are good, but a lot of times you have to watch them more than once to understand what's going on. Luckily in Run Lola Run there isn't too much dialog, so you don't have to be staring at the bottom of the screen for the subtitles too long. Johnny Depp looks like Michael Jackson in CCF, which is probably why everyone thinks he looks like a creepy child molester :-). You should watch Princess Bride if you get a chance--it's really good.

7/16/2005 9:15 AM  
Blogger Meadow said...

I have JCS movie and soundtrack, too. You've got good taste. ;)

7/17/2005 3:15 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home