Tuesday, June 21, 2005

My Top 10 Favorite Songs of All-Time

It's really hard for me to answer the question, "What is your favorite song/band?" I love so many different groups, singers, songs, and genres that I can't narrow it down. Therefore, this list is subject to change at a moment's notice, but it usually doesn't. For some of the groups I had to randomly pick songs because I love them all, but I think it accurately reflects my favorites. Here goes, in no particular order:

1. "Goodbye Yellow Brick Road" - Elton John (From Goodbye Yellow Brick Road)

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

I recently became absolutely enamored with Elton John's older music. This song is catchy as hell, and I like Elton's snide defiance. The way he pronounces vodka and tonic (vodker and tonic)? So cute!

2 and 3. "Halo" and "Sweetest Perfection" - Depeche Mode (From Violator)

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

"I stop and I stare too much/Afraid that I care too much/And I hardly dare to touch/for fear that the spell may be broken" Violator is considered by many DM fans to be the sellout album ("Personal Jesus," "Enjoy the Silence"). While I agree that saying you are a DM fan and your favorite songs are "JP" and "EtS" is like saying you're a Metallica fan and your favorite song is "Enter Sandman," or you are a Led Zeppelin fan and your favorite song is "Stairway," they aren't necessarily bad songs. And even when I'm sick of them, I know I can just skip over them and listen to the 7 other awesome songs on the album.

4. "Strangelove" - Depeche Mode (From Music for the Masses)

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

There are three types of Depeche Mode: bad (in a good way) early 80's techno Depeche Mode ("Just Can't Get Enough"); moody, brooding Depeche Mode (every song on Songs of Faith and Devotion); and middle-of-the-road Depeche Mode (Music for the Masses). This song has a great melody and pretty cool lyrics ("There are times/when my crimes/will seem almost unforgivable/I give in/to sin/because you have to make this life livable").

5. "Have a Cigar" - Pink Floyd (From Wish You Were Here)


Image hosted by Photobucket.com

The intro to this songs kicks all kinds of ass, and I love how it mocks the ignorance of the powers that be in the "industry." "The band is just fantastic/that's really what I think/And by the way/Which one's Pink?"

6. "Lovesong" - The Cure (From Disintegration)

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

I feel that I like enough songs by The Cure to be able to put this song in my Top 10. How romantic, yet sad, is this song?

7. "Close to Me" - The Cure (From The Head on the Door)

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

I got into The Cure during my teenage angst years. I love the desperation and depression in this song. Upon first listen, The Cure's songs sound so upbeat and happy. Then you listen to the lyrics. That's what I like about them: they make you think.

8. "In Your Eyes" - Peter Gabriel (From So)

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Peter Gabriel is pretty good. He's not my favorite, but he doesn't suck. This song is from Say Anything, which is one of the greatest movies of all time. It still gives me chills every time I hear it.

9. "Get Up, Stand Up" - Bob Marley (From Legend, among other albums)

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

When I was in 8th grade I was at the Washington Zoo wearing a Bob Marley shirt. I received a look from a black teenager that said, "Stupid cracker, you're not allowed to like Bob Marley." Whatever. I am a cracker, but I still love Bob Marley. "Most people think/great God will come from the skies/take away everything/and make everybody feel high./But if you know what life is worth/you will look for yours on Earth." Exactly.

10. "Immigrant Song" - Led Zeppelin (From III)

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

If I were in charge of the music at hockey games, this is the song that would play as the players took the ice. This song has a great riff. I lost some respect for Led Zeppelin when they let P. Diddy sample one of their songs though. Led Zeppelin, P. Diddy is not even in the same league as you. You are the world series champions and he is a bunch of kids playing ball in their back yard using trees as bases. Why would you let him bastardize your music?

So there it is! That was a great way to waste tons of time at work! I may have to do movie and TV lists as well!

2 Comments:

Blogger katiedid said...

We have some favorite artists in common, and no Peter Gabriel doesn't suck, heh. My fave of his is Mercy Street. It's so melancholy and elegant.

6/21/2005 1:08 PM  
Blogger j said...

I remember back in my younger days going to clubs we had a bastardized combo we'd sing of "Shock the Monkey" and "Rock the Casbah". Peter Gabriel AND The Clash--it's like peanut butter and chocolate...

6/21/2005 6:54 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home