Thursday, March 26, 2009

Idol Thoughts

I know some others (Dim) may not agree with me, but I like Kara (but not enough to look up how to spell her name). I get the feeling that she and Simon are the ones who know the music industry and she, unlike Simon, actually has some musical knowledge. I also like having a female who isn't like Paula on the panel; she's honest, but with a softer edge than Simon. So, on to Motown week, another week I'm not particularly fond of. Come to think of it, I really don't like the themes on this show. They want the kids to be contemporary and then do showtunes and Motown and Michael Jackson.

Matt - I feel the same way about this dude as I have from the beginning. I realize that he has talent, but I can't bring myself to care.

Kris - Stupid shirt, but he's still hot as hell. I don't like this song, but he sounded fine. I don't know if his looks are enough to help him get past Adam's charisma or Scott's and Danny's back stories.

Scott - Holy crap, I really want to like this guy, but he couldn't be more boring if he tried! Singing and playing the piano does not have to be a snoozefest. I also think he has a bit of an attitude. And his arms are freakishly long.

Megan - That was horrendous. I agree with Kara that "My Guy" would have been a better song for her voice. Way too fast, sharp throughout, just horrible.

Anoop - Great voice (although his falsetto is nothing compared to what Adam did), boring song. I think he's damned either way. If he does slow, sweet songs like this they'll tell him to speed it up and have fun; if he does a more up-tempo song they'll tell him he doesn't have the swagger or charisma for it.

Michael - That was pretty bad. I fast-forwarded though most of it. I'm sure Michael's a nice guy, but he's out of his league. Let him go back to entertaining his buddies on the oil rig.

Lil - I'm glad someone (Kara?) called her out on the screaming. Throughout her whole performance I was wondering if they were going to point out her screechiness after they blasted Michael for screaming. She could have knocked Motown week out of the park with a different song.

Adam - Awe. Some. Usually when people on this show try to hit falsetto notes I cringe in anticipation of their voice cracking, but Adam's vocals were excellent. I could do without the 20 tons on gel in his hair, but he has a very handsome face without that pancake make-up. And to get a standing O from Smokey must have felt incredible. Way to go, Adam!

Danny - I don't know why, but for some reason it really bothered me that he didn't take Smokey's advice. Who the hell are you, Danny Gokey? A douche, that's who. You're not nearly as good as you think you are, bro.

Allison - That was excellent, although probably not as excellent as the judges said it was. Did she mess up the lyrics? I'm calling final 3 for her.

I think my issue with this season is that there isn't anyone I love and there isn't anyone I despise. There are people I could do without, but this season doesn't have a "villain." And as much as people want to talk about it being a singing competition, it's not--it's a TV show.

Labels:

3 Comments:

Blogger Dim said...

I actually don't mind the new chick as a judge. I actually think she knows more than the other three combined and I usually end up agreeing with her. It's just the way she talks that drives me nuts.

Your last two sentences on your Danny review had me rolling!

And I totally agree with your summary. This season is just sort of blah. Nobody to really get behind, no one to really root against.

- D.

3/26/2009 3:16 PM  
Blogger B. said...

I would like to hear Kara do a number one of these nights.

Other things I'd like to see on AI:
U2 night
Contestant cage fighting
and
"Paula's not allowed to talk" night

3/26/2009 6:12 PM  
Blogger Jenny G said...

Kara has some videos on YouTube if you want to hear her. Good, but not incredible. Change Paula to Randy and I'd be with you on that one!

3/26/2009 6:17 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home