Tuesday, December 04, 2007

The Office (UK)

Today is Day 4 of 25 DoN and I'm going to write about my love of the UK version of The Office. Part of the reason I'm not feeling the US Office as much lately is that they've departed from what The Office is supposed to be about and the characters have become caricatures of themselves. If you watch season 1 of the US version, the lighting was bad and the actors didn't look glamorous. Steve Carell was paunchy and had bad hair plugs. Now he (and everyone else) are much more attractive. There were no unrealistic situations, and everyone who has worked in an office could relate to the goings-on. The Office is supposed to be realistic and about the doldrums of everyday life in a cubicle farm.

The UK version never strayed from this formula, and part of that was because it was only 12 episodes and a 2-part Christmas special. The US version has 59 episodes and is still going strong. We all knew that Jim and Pam were going to end up together; when Dawn left the Christmas party, our hearts broke because we thought she and Tim would continue to suffer with unrequited love. I do love the US Office, and I'm obviously not one of those people who refuses to watch the US Office because of their love for the UK version (I didn't see the UK version till the end of Season 1 of the US version), but I think the UK version benefited from the idea that less is more.

In honor of The UK Office, here are the Stereophonics (not Rod Stewart!!!!!!) doing "Handbags and Gladrags", one of my favorite songs.

Labels: , ,

4 Comments:

Blogger i i eee said...

You are so dead on with the characters becoming caricatures of themselves.

I still enjoy watching The Office, but if I miss an episode, I don't really feel the sting.

I have UK version in my Netflix. I can't wait! Which reminds me, I love Extras -Ricky Gervais is such a genius. But I so have a crush on his dorky idiot agent...although I didn't accrue said crush until I saw him out of character, with his hair tousled.

12/05/2007 12:17 AM  
Blogger March2theSea said...

i saw the UK version before the US versions started mostly because so many folks talked about it. I liked it..and own the box set..but since the US version has started I haven't watched a single one. I think now its just "loosly based" off the BBC version of the show. Its been americanized for sure. Part of me would love to see it "end" after another season going out strong..but if it goes..say hello to even more freaking reality TV.

12/05/2007 9:57 AM  
Blogger Steve H said...

i dont realy even watch it anymore, which is sad...

12/05/2007 8:25 PM  
Blogger Rusty said...

Oh, you know I love the UK Office, too. I wanted to hide my face in my hands so many times so as not to watch David Brent get himself into awkwardly horrible situations.

Hot love on the hot love highway...

12/05/2007 11:04 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home