Tuesday, November 07, 2006

Que dia loco!

I had some...interesting...things happen to me today. I had to cover the front desk which is always a barrel full of awesomeness. A woman brought her son in for an eval and when he went back with the doctor he took his mom's book of crossword puzzles. I refused to interrupt the eval to get her book so she yelled, "This is bullshit!" and stormed outside. Then she called the director to complain that I wouldn't let her get her book. She came back in and sat in the waiting room for a few minutes and then came out saying she had to leave because she was allergic to the carpet fibers. She asked me to call her when the doctor was ready to talk to her. I did and of course she didn't answer her phone. At least her son was polite.

Later on I was yelled at because I told a woman what her payment was. Keep in mind the payments are set by the insurance company, not me personally.

On the way home one of the roads home was closed because a crane was trying to get a disabled helicopter off the top of the hospital. I pictured it falling and giggled. Those of you who know my feelings about ER know why.

I waited in line for 45 freaking minutes to vote. I didn't appreciate standing outside in the cold and drizzle to vote for people who are probably going to win anyway. That wasn't really weird but it was annoying. Not as bad as the hour plus I stood in line to vote against Bush though.

As I was doing the dishes (people ALWAYS call while I'm doing the dishes) I got a call asking if this was the (Chris's last name) family. I said, "Ummm..." Then the woman asked if I was Chris's son. Noooooo.... His daughter? Wrong again. The lady? Yeah, but I ain't no lady. She wanted to know if I was interested in a free burial site. I had to decline that tempting offer.

Labels:

14 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

The only thing you didn't mention is how I was on the phone with you during the 45-minute wait, and my phone died. Sorry I never got to call you back. My phone is still charging, and I'm still pissed that we had to stop talking.

Sorry your day was shitty...why didn't you tell me about that stuff on the phone? Did I "jeopardize" the conversation again? LOL! :)

11/07/2006 10:16 PM  
Blogger N.F. said...

Have you considered absentee voting? My mom and I do it all the time now; it's cool.

11/08/2006 12:58 AM  
Blogger Steve H said...

come on, we all know you are the mastermind behind the insurance industry.

11/08/2006 6:22 AM  
Blogger Caroline said...

Wow. There are some really interesting people in this country. I apologize, but I couldn't help but laugh about that woman and the carpet fibers.

I'm sorry that you had a crappy day though, and hope that today is much better for you!

11/08/2006 10:20 AM  
Blogger Karen said...

Wow, can I relate to much of that. My last job was at an optometrist's office and if I had a nickel (okay, a dollar) for every time I got bitched out because of insurance billing/payments, etc., I would have been able to quit much sooner. I also loved hearing, "I have no idea what kind of coverage I have, but I know that's not right" when I would give them the benefit information that I'd obtained from the insurance company. I also loved the people who wouldn't give me a social security number so I could get an authorization and check their benefits, but insisted on using their insurance. God, I'm getting a rapid heartbeat just thinking about it.

11/08/2006 1:07 PM  
Blogger March2theSea said...

free burial site?! Can you bury people up to their necks in sand? Or can you toss trash/toxic waste in your plot?

That is the most f'd call ever...i'd be freaked they knew I was about to die.

11/08/2006 2:54 PM  
Blogger Dim said...

That is one weird, wacky day.

11/08/2006 3:38 PM  
Blogger i i eee said...

Oh dear.

I hated HATED working at a doctor's office. Bleh.

11/08/2006 4:45 PM  
Blogger j said...

That's got to be one of the weirder cold calls ever. I'm afraid my temptation would be to ask "can I use it today?" and then try to find something to produce a gunshot-like sound--then let the line go dead.

11/08/2006 11:31 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Jen, have you gotten that call before? Everyone else seems to think it's really weird, and I was just thinking "ha! She got that call, too!" It must be a common thing in York, because we've been offered burial plots many, many times. WTF?

11/09/2006 6:26 AM  
Blogger Jenny G said...

Rusty: You didn't jeopardize the coversation, I was just in a line of people and didn't want to be obnoxious. And yes, they've called before.

Noelle: I thought you couldn't absentee vote if you were able to go to the polls?

Hot: You learned my secret!

Caroline: Thanks.

Karen: Luckily I can deny people appointments if they don't have their insurance ID number. The only place that still uses the SSN exclusively is Medicaid and I can turn those people away if they refuse to give me their SSN or if they don't know it. I'm always amazed when people call to set up a first-time appointment and don't know what kind of insurance they have and/or don't have their card. Why the hell would you call without that info?!

March: I should ask if I have to use it for my corpse.

Dim: 'Twas.

meta: People seem to lose all their brain cells when dealing with doctors' offices.

J: I'll have to remember that next time :)

11/09/2006 11:20 AM  
Blogger B. said...

I've never been called about a burial plot. I must be out of the loop!

11/09/2006 5:22 PM  
Blogger pog mo thoin said...

for some reason, I can't see your post. The background is white, which I know is wrong and there are no words (presumably because you use white type and I can't see it!)

Is anyone else having this problem or is it just another in my series of internet hell???

11/14/2006 12:44 PM  
Blogger Jenny G said...

That's weird. I do type in white but it's showing up fine for me. No blogger sites were working for me last night.

11/14/2006 9:09 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home