Thursday, July 06, 2006

Bites, Paranoid People, and Dogs

I'm incapable of going outside without getting massive bug bites. It looks like the bugs were having a Jenny G buffet during our sparkler extravaganza last night. Sometimes I have very bad reactions to bites, and the current one, on the back of my calf, is the size of a baseball and sticks out about an inch. It's not as bad as the one I got about 8 years ago on my thigh that was larger than a softball. I also have one behind my ear, luckily that didn't swell.

I took a walk in a neighborhood near our house tonight. It was a nice walk; I drove it afterwards and it turned out to be 1.7 miles, and I like it because I don't have to drive there. I'm not too big on the idea of driving somewhere to walk, but unfortunately there aren't too many places to walk near our house. There were three houses in the neighborhood that had "No Trespassing" signs up, and two of the houses had more than one. These weren't inconspicuous signs tucked into a deserted corner of the property, they were in the middle of the yard. Think of what a "For Sale" sign would look like. I couldn't decide which was tackier: the "No Trespassing" signs or the house that had about 30 lawn ornaments.

In addition to not liking interlopers, the people in this neighborhood also don't like to supervise their dogs. I don't really appreciate having a barking dog barreling down on me at top speed as its owner offers a meek, "Get back here." I'm not scared of dogs, but I'm not a huge fan of having them run at me whilst bearing their teeth. Luckily for me, the Great Dane I saw out by itself was too intent upon pooping to come after me. Another neighbor had a white German Shepherd out by itself; I was grateful that it didn't try to attack me. I've had two German Shepherds try to attack me in my life; I think that's enough.

Sometimes I don't even know why I go outside.

7 Comments:

Blogger Meadow said...

If I had those problems, I'm pretty sure I would stay in. :)

7/06/2006 10:03 AM  
Blogger B. said...

"Just don't let them smell your fear." That's my favorite advice. I'm not scared of dogs. For some reason, I think that I could beat up a dog that was attacking me. Probably not smart.

7/06/2006 10:42 AM  
Blogger Mr. A said...

My neighbor lets their dogs out by themselves... A huge boxer and a Bulldog

They are sweet animals but the first time I came across the Boxer I was a bit cautious for sure.

The English Bulldog took off running a couple of weeks ago and the was a funny site as the owner tore after the fat little thing

7/06/2006 11:47 AM  
Blogger Rusty said...

I love dogs, but the bite-y kind terrify me. I'm most afraid of Great Danes, so I'm glad I wasn't there with you, even though it was just pooping. German shepherds...*shudder*

You and bug bites, I swear! You probably ought to put on bug spray every time you leave the house! I have a new kind that doesn't smell at all, and it's awesome. I'll send a bottle over next time I come to your place.

7/06/2006 12:03 PM  
Blogger Jenny G said...

I think I should, Renee.

I stayed pretty calm, B. I kept my eyes ahead and kept walking.

Annoyed, I don't think it's right to let your dogs out alone. Just because they're friendly to you and your neighbors doesn't mean they'll be nice to strangers. Also, some people are terrified of dogs. I love them, but prefer the ones I know. Bulldogs are so cute and fat!

Actually, Rusty, the Great Dane was kind of cute pooping. It's this big, majestic dog and there it is copping a squat. I put bug spray on last night when I went to sit at my table, and then I reeked all night. I'll have to try your smell-less stuff.

7/06/2006 4:50 PM  
Blogger Gina Thompson said...

I'm a cat person myself

7/06/2006 4:52 PM  
Blogger Jenny G said...

I'm not a cat person at all. I had cats growing up, but I hated them.

7/07/2006 5:25 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home