Thursday, June 29, 2006

Exasperation

It has been one of those days! I was late leaving for work and got behind line painting on the highway, then I got behind a truck that was going 55 in a 65, and I couldn't get around him. I finally got going at a good clip when I came upon the dreaded, "stopped traffic at exit 39B" sign. Great. Traffic was backed up for miles so I thought I'd be slick and get off the highway, but unfortunately it was an exit I've never used before. I was semi-lost, but I figured out where I was. Traffic in the city was horrendous! Harrisburg is right on the banks of the Susquehanna River, and in the middle of the river is an island called City Island--original, I know--where the Harrisburg Senators play and there are always all kinds of activities going on. The river has been visibly higher since the rain started, but today I noticed that the whole end of the island is flooded, including the parking garage. At least the swans were enjoying it as they swam around in the flooded parking lot.

Miraculously I made it to our parking lot without killing anyone. The lot has a gate that requires a garage door opener-type device to open it. I park in the parking garage a block away every day except Thursday because I'm a peon, so I have to run inside and grab the extra opener. We share the lot with a law office, and it's not hard to tell which cars belong to the attorneys and which belong to the social workers. Anyway, some law office tool in his big black SUV pulls in behind me and lays on his horn as I'm running in the door. Instead of, you know, using his clicker to open the gate for me. He did apologize and since I had vowed to myself today on my car ride to work that I was going to work on being less angry--although that was before the backed up traffic, getting lost, and taking 10 hours to drive 2 blocks--it didn't piss me off too much. Serenity now.

8 Comments:

Blogger Rusty said...

That guys sounds like a real ass...glad he apologized. Did you give him a dirty look, at least?

I figured you wouldn't have to go to work at least one of these rainy days, since the city had a state of emergency. Bummer that you didn't get off.

I've always thought City Island was a very stupid name.

LOL at "Serenity now."

6/29/2006 3:52 PM  
Blogger j said...

I've been wondering how the rain and floods might be affecting you. It looks pretty bad in some places.

Lawyers--a lab rat wouldn't have honked the horn. (think about the old joke, think...)

6/29/2006 11:58 PM  
Blogger Gina Thompson said...

http://surewhynotnow.blogspot.com/2006/06/two-dead-in-i-88-washout-ny-state.html

Looks like the flooding is getting a bit serious. Check out the current posts from this blog as well.

6/30/2006 1:27 AM  
Blogger Jenny G said...

Hell no, Rusty. We never close.

J, some places around here are bad but we got lucky. And the joke totally went over my head!

Damn, Gina. I saw a picture of that washout thing but I didn't realize it was so deep. They had some parts of PA on the Today Show this morning.

6/30/2006 1:28 PM  
Blogger Gina Thompson said...

kinda scary... as a kid I used to have nightmares about there being HUGE holes in the road that cars and people could just fall through. I didn't realize that was actually possible!

6/30/2006 3:35 PM  
Blogger Meadow said...

Yikes. That is a rough way to start the morning. :(

7/02/2006 12:41 AM  
Blogger j said...

there's an old joke that scientists have started using lawyers instead of lab rats because "there are some things a lab rat just won't do"

(or something to that effect)

7/02/2006 4:08 AM  
Blogger Jenny G said...

I've never seen anything like that either, Gina.

You can say that again, Renee.

J, LOL!

7/02/2006 12:35 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home