Sunday, June 18, 2006

Happy Father's Day!

Happy Father's Day to the dads who read my blog. I think it's just J. and March. I hope you all had an easier time thinking of something to get your dad than I did. Like I discussed in a comment on March's blog, my dad is the most impossible person to buy for. All he does is yardwork, play golf, and watch baseball on TV. He doesn't read, doesn't cook, doesn't really listen to music besides the oldies station on the radio, isn't metrosexual, has no hobbies besides the golfing and unfortunately I can't afford to buy him a set of graphite clubs, is retired, rarely watches movies and already belongs to Netflix. He has a weakness for candy but he had a triple bypass and a valve replacement a few years ago, so candy probably isn't the wisest choice. I ended up getting him a Lowe's gift card. I didn't think he needed to get his millionth box of golf balls from me this year.

I leave you with one of my dad's lame math teacher jokes:

What did the sapling say when he grew up?
Gee, I'm a tree!

In the words of Rusty's mom, if I have to suffer then so do you.

9 Comments:

Blogger Shannon Morgan said...

1st grade math joke: Why was 6 scared? Because 7 8 9. [seven ate nine].

That's from my mom's days of teaching.

Do you play golf? You could always go play a round with your dad for Father's Day.

6/18/2006 11:02 AM  
Blogger Meadow said...

Whoa, that was a pretty lame joke. lol

6/18/2006 11:24 AM  
Blogger N.F. said...

I don't get the joke....?!

6/18/2006 2:22 PM  
Blogger March2theSea said...

fathers day was good..thanks!

Sounds like your dad will love the lowes card..if he likes the yard that is perfect!

6/19/2006 9:11 AM  
Blogger Jenny G said...

I remember that one, nomad! I told my dad about your idea and he laughed. Not because it was a bad idea, but because I'm horrible! Last time I went golfing with my dad, about 10 years ago, I hit the ball with a 9-iron and it went across the ground instead of up in the air.

Abnormal, I grew up with bad jokes like that!

Noelle, it's a play on words. Gee, I'm a tree = geometry

Gina, unfortunately there are more where that came from.

I'm glad you had a good day, March! My dad liked the gift card and said he doesn't think he's hard to buy for.

6/19/2006 11:44 AM  
Blogger Steve H said...

i took my dad (and mom) to ocean city, nj - mainly to (like you) avoid the whole golf ball thing...

6/19/2006 3:46 PM  
Blogger B. said...

I took my dad and father-in-law to Applebee's for dinner. They don't have one near them so it's a treat when they come to visit. Both of them enjoyed the smoothies they were offering. If you know my dad (which none of you do with the exception of Rusty)you would be rolling with laughter right now as he is not a fruity drink guy. He drinks beer. Well, coffee for breakfast, but then, beer. He looked so funny drinking from a big glass with a strawberry and orange slice on the side. He also had a good chuckle when the waiter asked if he wanted the alcoholic kind. I believe he said something like, "Well, what other kind is there?"

6/19/2006 6:58 PM  
Blogger Rusty said...

OMG...I freakin' love your dad, B. That sounds EXACTLY like him. In fact, I can hear him saying it. LOL! :)

Jenny - I can't imagine you golfing.

6/19/2006 8:12 PM  
Blogger Jenny G said...

Great idea, Hotwire! I can't afford anything like that; I could have done dinner though.

I don't know your dad, B, but I've heard enough about him to know that he's not a fruity drink guy!

Rusty, I suck ass. I've only been like, 3 or 4 times.

6/20/2006 11:03 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home