Thursday, April 13, 2006

Veddy Interesting...

I'm glad to have Ace around for another week, but it's too bad Bucky's gone. I liked the group sing, but it would have been nice to, you know, actually be able to see them singing. Maybe one of you can clear something up for Rusty and me. Isn't "Under Pressure" a David Bowie song? Next week: Rod Stewart. HAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAATE!!

I found this on this site. It's originally from Brian May's site, and it makes me feel a little better about his treatment Tuesday night:

AMERICAN IDOL - ACE - AND BEING MISREPRESENTED ..
OK … it begins ….the fallout from American Idol.

There is so much to say - I sure have learned a lot myself already from this experience … but slowly will do it … one thing at a time …

Firstly let me comment on ACE. He’s a great guy.

Some of you have written in accusing me of undermining ACE with his interpretation of WWRY. Nothing could be further from the truth. I’m afraid this is an illustration of exactly what I have been quoted as saying about the programme ….. that the critical process would be better off done in private, like we do in auditioning for our musical … .

We had an interaction with ACE, a conversation, in which we gave him the best advice we possibly could, based on studying the demo’s which we already had in our iTunes - which I’d personally given a lot of time to study. This conversation, in my book, ought to have been private, but that is not the style of the show, sadly. But the even more unfortunate thing is that you are then in the hands of the video editors, who seem to seize with glee anything that looks negative. It was edited in such a way that it looked as if I was purely negative - they very naughtily inserted a bit that I said about “not on my own song” so it appeared that I said it AFTER we had played together, which was not the way it happened …making me look like I was against the whole thing. But this was not the case. Having said that I wouldn’t be able to play the arrangement exactly like his demo, and that I didn’t think it would work without the stomps and claps which are foundation of the song, we then discussed how we could improve his ideas and with a mixture of a quick conference and spontaneous creation we came up with a kind of mixture of his thoughts and ours - WHICH WAS THE BASIS FOR THE ARRANGEMENT THAT YOU SAW THE HOUSE BAND PLAY ON THE NIGHT ! It was actually pretty damn good, I thought, for a quick attempt … and he sang it very well live. If you talk to ACE he will confirm that we parted on the very best terms, and he thanked me for the input. I made it very clear that I respected him for taking chances and trying to make the song his own. The version you saw on TV used a straight sample beat with stomps and claps which set up the song in the first verse in the classic way, and then a working in of an underpinning riff (close to what I had done in our rehearsal period together, in response to Ace’s idea) and then back to a straighter 3rd verse, but ending in his delayed phrase end stop, again, just as we did it together …. and I thought it was damn good.

Just in case any of this isn’t clear …. the version of WWRY that ACE performed on AI last night was a DIRECT RESULT of his own ingenuity and the advice we gave him, with our full encouragement and blessing. And he definitely rocked. And we wish him much luck in the contest.

If you watch the programme again you will notice that ACE said he enjoyed working with us, and that I also said quite clearly that I thought an approach of personalising songs was a necessary ingredient of greatness … my exact words were … “He’s a very interactive person, and that’s what makes Greatness”. I hope that wherever ACE is right now he remembers that there is mutual respect there between us, and much good feeling. And to all you guys out there who have become his fans … please remember this too …

As for the rest …..well, a little later ..

But I was impressed with all our new friends, the Idols - wonderful job, guys, THANKS ! .. and we feel really complimented.

With Love

Bri


Tonight is a rerun of The Office: The Dundies. Good episode, especially if you like Jim/Pam (I refuse to call them Jam). I won't give away any more since Rusty hasn't see it :)

4 Comments:

Blogger Dim said...

Last night almost lost me completely. I told Xteen, if Elliott got sent home, I would never watch the show again.

I didn't think Bucky deserved to go home, especially since Ace has sounded like ass for the last few weeks, but he is better looking than Bucky, so he gets kept around.

I might not watch it next week. Rod Stewart??? UGH!!!!! Is there any doubt that Taylor does Maggie May?

And speaking of May, Brian is a class act. I love Queen and also love May as a guitar player and it was nice to hear him set the record straight.

- Not D.

4/13/2006 9:00 AM  
Blogger Meadow said...

Jeez Louise. First David Matthews, then Alanis Morissette, and now Rod Stewart.

I'm not even going to tell you when my CD comes out. :)

4/13/2006 9:53 AM  
Blogger Caroline said...

Ahh Bucky. I was alittle sad to see him go b/c I like him. Ace does seem like a very nice guy, but whenever he hits a high note I think of that band from the 90's Color Me Bad. And dude, Rod freakin' Stewart?!!! Do you think anyone will sing the "If you think I'm sexy" song? Sorry, I can't remember the name of it...

I'm glad that The Office is a rerun tonight b/c I'm going to the Shakespeare Theater tonight and I was afraid that I was going to miss a good episode.

Oh and "Under Pressure" is a Queen song, David Bowie just duets. I'd have to ask my friend who loves David Bowie to confirm that though.

4/13/2006 12:23 PM  
Blogger Jenny G said...

Not D: I don't see how Elliott can be in the bottom 3 while Kellie has never been. I'm sure Bucky left before Ace because of looks, but Ace's days are numbered.

I was happy to see that Brian spoke out. Most people wouldn't be bothered.

I think next week is Standards, not Rod Stewart songs. He's pimping his new albums. If it were Rod Stewart songs I'd love to hear Elliott do "Handbags and Gladrags" which Rod covered.

DG: The difference between you and Rod Stewart is that you don't suck :). I'll love your album!

Caroline: HAHA Color Me Bad! I was with my dad at the store and I asked him if he would buy their tape for me (yes, tape) and he was like, "I don't know; I Wanna Sex You Up?" He did buy it though. I don't think there's a new Office on till the 27th. You are absolutely right about Under Pressure. I looked it up on BMI's website and it was written and performed by Bowie and Queen.

http://repertoire.bmi.com/title.asp?blnWriter=True&blnPublisher=True&blnArtist=True&page=1&keyid=1570837&ShowNbr=0&ShowSeqNbr=0&querytype=WorkID

4/14/2006 7:34 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home