Wednesday, February 08, 2006

On Oprah

I've often tried to explain to people why I can't stand Oprah Winfrey, but I'm not able to do it in an eloquent, intelligent manner. This person said what I've wanted to say, but was unable.

"Winfrey’s entire life is an exercise in self-aggrandizement, from the TV show which tells us what to read and how to live to her eponymous magazine, every issue of which features her smug countenance on its cover. More than just another insufferable Hollywood egotist, Oprah is something more akin to a housewife messiah, providing false hope and faux spirituality for experience-deprived worshippers. Everything she does is strategically designed to draw more praise, more devotees, and of course more money. Recently had celebrated poet Maya Angelou on her program to promote her new poem, which Oprah read for the audience as if she wrote it herself, as she seems to actually believe.

Exhibit A: Dr. Phil.

Sentence: Crushed by self-commissioned 40-story platinum Oprah statue."

9 Comments:

Blogger Kate said...

That is a pretty apt description!

2/08/2006 10:36 AM  
Blogger Dim said...

I'm so on-board with this. She got an insane amount of TV coverage during the Coretta Scott King lying-in-state. I understand the correlation, but we are honoring Mrs. King and Oprah seemed to be the center of attention.

- D.

2/08/2006 11:13 AM  
Blogger Caroline said...

Since I live in Chicago where her show is taped, I have to say that I can't stand her. Everything that you said its so true about her. I don't like how she ALWAYS interrupts whoever is on her show while they're speaking, how she acts like she's everyone's best friend, (so fake) and how she's on the cover of her own magazine every month. How vain can you be?! I also heard that she's pretty mean in real life, which shouldn't surprise anyone.

I like Martha Stewart so much better!! At least you can actually learn something from her. Like how to make macaroni and cheese with greueye cheese instead of chedder, and that insider trading will land you a spot in the Big House.

2/08/2006 2:25 PM  
Blogger Caroline said...

Jenny that site is HILARIOUS!!!

2/08/2006 2:32 PM  
Blogger Jenny G said...

I think any time any important person dies we should just interview Oprah on how she feels about it instead of bothering to show their funeral or do a tribute to them. I just saw a thing in a magazine about how much sales on a few things went up after she talked about them on her show. Don't housewives have anything better to do? Caroline, I agree with you 100% on Martha Stewart being better. At least Martha doesn't pretend to be nice!

2/09/2006 11:16 AM  
Blogger Caroline said...

Why thank you. Yeah, I like how she doesn't pretend to be nice. I am personally diggin' the new-and-improved-post-prison Martha.

Hooray for all of the bitchy women in the world! :-)

2/09/2006 1:13 PM  
Blogger Jenny G said...

I'm really pissed that her Apprentice was cancelled. Hers was so much better than Trump's.

2/10/2006 2:16 PM  
Blogger Caroline said...

I know right. I think that I'd enjoy doing tasks like that than what Trump makes his candidates do.

2/10/2006 5:25 PM  
Blogger Jenny G said...

Me too! Trump's tasks have gotten dumb.

2/11/2006 9:08 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home