Saturday, January 07, 2006

It's the Chronic- what! -cles of Narnia


Chris and I went to see The Chronicles of Narnia: The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe on Wednesday night, and it was incredible. We were lucky and had the whole theater to ourselves, so we didn't have to deal with any of the usual movie-going asshattery. If the cinematographer of this movie doesn't win an Oscar, then I've lost all faith in the Academy. The scenery was gorgeous, the CGI was realistic-looking and not at all distracting, Lucy was adorable, and the screenplay was well-written. The main complaints I have read about the movie are plot holes, the Christian themes, the dialog, and the pace. Obviously the plot holes have more to do with the book than the movie, so we'll ignore that argument. Yes, the book is a Christian allegory, but so what? Animal Farm was an allegory of the events of the Soviet Union in the early 1900s. Why is the religious allegory bad and the political one isn't? I don't know why people are getting so hopped up over religion lately. I thought the dialog was realistic to children in London in the first half of the 20th century; it's not like this movie takes place today. These points were coming from people on the IMDB boards, and they don't always seem to be the sharpest knives in the drawer. As far as the pace, it's not like I'm the authority on this sort of thing, but as a person who is constantly looking at her watch during movies, I did not find myself doing that once during this particular movie. As someone who had read the book, I could have done without the beginning World War II scenes and the children's subsequent trip out of London, but I think that was important for someone who has not read the books.

C
hildren might find this movie to be a little intense, especially if they aren't familiar with the book or don't understand that it follows the events of the Bible. *Spolier* For example, it may be upsetting to them when Aslan is killed if they aren't aware that he will be resurrected. There isn't a lot of gore, but there is a big war. Chris made the comment that he wishes Disney hadn't produced this movie so that the battle scenes could have been done a little better. I don't agree because the books are children's books; therefore, the movie should be a children's movie. I don't think blood and guts would have improved upon anything. I can't write this without commenting on the acting abilities of the children. All of the children, especially Georgie Henley, who plays Lucy, and Skandar Keynes as Edmund, were excellent. I found all of them to be significantly less irritating than Dakota Fanning and Haley Joel Osment, and I think they have futures ahead of them in the business. I would strongly recommend this movie, as well as the books.

8 Comments:

Blogger March2theSea said...

good use of asshatery (sp)..

1/07/2006 1:57 PM  
Blogger Rusty said...

Would I like this? As a child, I was given the set of books (which still resides somewhere on the bookshelf) and tried to read them...I was bored to death, so I stopped. Perhaps it would be different now, and I'd like the movie. A parent volunteer read the picture book (abridged version, of course) to the kids I was teaching yesterday, and I couldn't even follow THAT. Maybe you can tell me more about it then. :)

1/07/2006 7:20 PM  
Blogger Kate said...

I agree! I thought it was very well done.

1/07/2006 8:37 PM  
Blogger Dim said...

Oh my. I read the books practically MONTHLY as a pup. This is going to be my Martin Luther King Day movie matinee. Nothing screams "civil rights" more than a movie about a magical wardrobe and a talking lion with a Jesus complex. I seriously can't wait to see this...

I did catch the latest Harry Potter today, btw, Rust. What a fantastic piece of work. Much better than the best of the previous troika (and I though the Prisoner of Uzbekistan or whatever was VERY impressive).

Lotsa good flicks out there, people. Now, if only the studios will get this: If you are going to make the 2 1/2 hr. movie the norm, let's make some more comfy theatres, eh? I'm tired of walking out of a movie like Sophia from the Golden Girls.

- D.

1/07/2006 11:58 PM  
Blogger Jenny G said...

Yes, MR you should read them and watch it. And let me borrow them when you're done :). LOL at Dim, and no fair at being off on the 16th!

1/08/2006 8:10 PM  
Blogger Caroline said...

I will have to go and see this movie. After seeing your title to this post, I take it you have seen the SNL skit? So funny.

1/09/2006 12:42 PM  
Blogger j said...

I saw it on Saturday and liked it muchly. I agree with the comments about the war/gore and the authenticity of the dialogue, etc.

1/09/2006 9:10 PM  
Blogger Jenny G said...

caroline: Yes, I saw it, and it was hilarious. I kept singing it to my bf in the theater (we did have the whole place to ourselves, after all) and he was ready to kill me.

j: Yeah, it's not a war epic, it's a children's book. I thought it was very well done.

1/10/2006 11:04 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home