Friday, June 03, 2005

Weird Things That I Have Seen in the Past Few Days

I'm so glad to be home today! The streetrods are in town, so traffic is horrendous! I understand that these people put a lot of time and money into their streetrods, but do they really have to be driving around town at rush hour on one of the busiest roads in York?

But I digress. The real reason that I'm writing this post is that I'm always seeing weird/stupid shit that makes me wish I were with someone so that he or she could experience it with me. The other day on my way to work I saw a car sitting on the side of the road. Both of its taillights were busted out. One was covered with part of a Sunmaid Raisin box and one was covered with part of a case of Coke. Then they had been spraypainted with red paint. Now, if you're going to go to the trouble of finding something red to cover the lights, why would you bother to spraypaint it? Not to mention, the spraypaint had run down onto the bumper. Then I noticed that the car had a "For Sale" sign in its window.

Today as I was driving home (keep in mind that it's only about 60 degrees and there is a steady rain) I saw this girl walking down the sidewalk wearing only socks (well, she had clothes on, but she only had socks on her feet). Even though she was walking on the sidewalk, she was walking on the edge as if it were a balance beam. This wouldn't be so bad, except for the fact that she kept almost falling off into traffic. When I got closer I noticed she was chewing on her hair. We've got some good 'uns in York.

I'll post more as I see/remember things.

5 Comments:

Blogger katiedid said...

I think my fave weird thing to see here in OR is the frequent sight of shirtless men with mullets bicycling. They inevitably are riding the wrong way in the bike lane (it's OR, and bike lanes are common in the Portland area), holding a lit cigarette in one hand and steering with the other. And I see it year round, no matter the weather. I have never gotten used to this sight. It is weirdly impressive though, when they've got the cigarette in one hand, and are steering and holding onto a paper bag that obviously contains beer with the same hand.

6/03/2005 7:15 PM  
Blogger The Complimenting Commenter said...

That is so funny. I wonder how many inquires the car has received. Nice post, keep sharing what you see. It's a good idea.

6/03/2005 7:40 PM  
Blogger j said...

We're so boring--all I notice is suburban panhandler--he has a dog, like all the downtown panhandlers, but he has this slick little dog platform with a wheel on the back of his bike--the whole thing looks like it wouldn't be cheap. I seen him in two shopping centres about 10 miles apart--so he's healthy enough to ride, but he won't get a job and he won't rough it downtown with the real panhandlers.

Am I evil because I want to kick him?

6/04/2005 3:42 AM  
Blogger j said...

er, I 'SEE' him--I'm not quite that illiterate just yet...

6/04/2005 3:43 AM  
Blogger Jenny G said...

katie - That takes some skill!

cc - Thanks!

j - That's like the panhandlers in Baltimore who are sitting on the street wearing brand new Air Jordans.

6/04/2005 11:42 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home