Tuesday, June 28, 2005

The "Real" World

I remember watching Real World: Seattle and loving it. Of course, I was 17 (18?) at the time, and my tastes have changed since then. But I'm watching Real World: Austin now and thinking about how stupid the show has become. Back in my day there was more to RW than people getting drunk and hooking up. It's disconcerting, because I know the majority of people watching this show are in middle or high school, and they're watching these people thinking this behavior is cool and acceptable. Which is why it has become "cool" and "acceptable." Not that the Real World takes sole responsibility for this, but you know what I mean.

Hey, if you want to go out and get drunk and get a piece of ass, good for you. But please realize what the real world is. In the real world most people don't live in a fabulous house with a jacuzzi and a pool, especially not at age 21. Going out and getting drunk every night in the real world doesn't translate well into holding down a 9-5 job. And if you can't hold down a job, you can't afford to go out and get drunk every night. It's called alcoholism (just tell your psychiatrist to code you as a 305.00--he or she will know what you're talking about). Hooking up with 5 different strangers in the real world can lead to fatherless children and/or discharge coming out of places where you definitely don't want discharge to be coming out of. And yes, if you act like you're easy, guys will want to sleep with you. But wanting to sleep with you and wanting to have a relationship with you are two different things. Some guys will tell you they love you to get you in bed.

I'm just warning any kiddos who may read this: get a hobby besides partying, find friends with whom you can talk while you're sober, pay attention in college (or high school if you college isn't for you), and learn how to survive on your own without relying on mommy and daddy to bail you out. You'll thank me later.

God, I'm old.

7 Comments:

Blogger j said...

clap, clap, clap...

You want to be our graduation guest speaker next year?

J.

6/28/2005 11:14 PM  
Blogger N.F. said...

AMEN Sister! I remember "growing up" on Real World San Francisco. I think that was the 1st season I really became a fan. Plus, one of my friends new Rachel from that season (they both went to UCSD). Now, I can't stand to watch the show. Las Vegas really ruined it for me.

6/28/2005 11:14 PM  
Blogger Berkeley G. said...

I hated the RW Las Vegas, to me, that was a little extreme. However, this Austin one is my favorite one yet, the only person I don't like is that stupid military girl who hates Michael Moore. I'm auditioning for the season 2 seasons after this one. :)

6/29/2005 11:42 AM  
Blogger Jenny G said...

j - Thank you, thank you. LOL just hand out my post to all the graduates.

feather - Las Vegas was horrible! Trishelle was one of the most vile human beings ever! She was vile on the Surreal Life too!

berkeley - see feather's response. Also, I'll be ok with the Michael Moore hater as long as she doesn't bring up the fact that she was in the war every episode. I hated Melinda, or whatever her name was. What a hobag! "My boyfriend is so perfect!" 5 minutes later she is sleeping with Danny. Grrr...

6/29/2005 6:22 PM  
Blogger Berkeley G. said...

I agree that Melinda comes off as a huge slut. But for some reason I think there's more to her than just that...I guess we'll find out soon enough...:)

Oh, and do you really think that she slept with Danny before she broke up with her boyfriend on Tuesday night's episode? That would just ruin it for me. But I'm in love with Danny and his cute northern accent..."You're too adorable for anyone to treat you like that," (or something to that effect, I just remember him saying "adorable" and wanting to melt...)

6/30/2005 10:31 PM  
Blogger Jenny G said...

I don't know that they actually had intercourse, but I'm sure something went on. I read an interview with Wes (is that his name) and he said they ended up having sex out in the open because they weren't able to film it. He said if they were in bed under the covers, they could just blur anything that popped up (no pun intended). That's funny that you think Northern accents are cute, because I feel the same way about Southern accents :-).

7/01/2005 11:04 PM  
Blogger Meadow said...

Wisdom.

7/02/2005 10:53 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home