Friday, December 01, 2006

On the Road

Ok, enough procrastinating. I left York at around 8:30 AM on Thursday morning. Traffic was pretty light, but it was drizzling, so it sort of sucked. I was excited for my adventure but not looking forward to sitting in one position for 8 hours. I've ridden in a car that long before, but I've never driven. The scenery on the way down was gorgeous. The mountains down there are incredible! I'll never move to Virginia though; the police there are Nazis! I saw more cops in Virginia on the way down that I see on my 60 mile round-trip drive to work in 6 months. Plus, radar detectors are illegal. I don't have one myself, but it's the principle of the thing! I, of course, was pulled over by Officer Cletus for going 80 in a 65. Thank god, because I was going a whole hell of a lot faster than that earlier! Now I'm pissed because I have to drive sensibly for 2 years. It'll take a year for me to get rid of my points--I guess. I haven't been able to find out if I actually got any points or not and Officer Cletus didn't know. Then after another year any ticket I get after that will be considered a first offense. After some other minor mishaps I finally made it to Mooresville around 5 PM and got to see Rusty for the first time since Labor Day! She had made a delicious Thanksgiving dinner so we ate that and then relaxed. We went to bed fairly early because there was a sale at Lowe's Motor Speedway. We planned to leave at 9...

...Which didn't happen considering Rusty's alarm didn't go off so we didn't even get up till around 9--oops! At the speedway Rusty spent enough money that we were able to take a couple spins around the track. Guys, I couldn't possibly care less about NASCAR, but it was so cool to be out on the track! You're at a pretty steep angle and you feel like you're going to tip over. In between laps we went to get lunch and I had fried pickles for the first time; they are more awesome than they sound. After our day at the track we went shopping to get Rusty's Christmas decorations and went to see Stranger Than Fiction. The movie got bad reviews, but I thought it was pretty good. I'm not even a Will Farrell fan.

On Saturday I got the grand tour of Mooresville. I saw Rusty's school and some extremely expensive homes. We did some more shopping and then went to lunch at a BBQ joint. I can't remember what the hell we did between lunch and dinner besides watch a horrendous cable access high school news show. We went to a seafood place called Big Daddy's for dinner (fried catfish and sweet tea...mmmm....). After dinner Rusty put her Christmas tree up while we watched some Office episodes.

I got a later start than I wanted to on Sunday morning, and the drive back was horrendous! We randomly stopped on the interstate at least 10 times and it took me over 9 hours to get home. I only stopped twice to pee, once for gas, and once to go through the drive-thru at McDonald's, so my back and legs were killing me when I got home. I also almost got killed twice too. Once was because I forgot how short one of the on-ramps was and almost went in front of an 18-wheeler and once was when some dumbass in front of me was driving down the highway straddling the center line. The person behind me passed him on the right and I guess it startled him because for some reason he stopped in the middle of the highway. Thank Jebus there was no one behind me! Incidentally, there was some dumbass straddling the line on my way home from work Tuesday night. I'm not talking just drifting over the line for 2 seconds; I'm talking the middle of these dumbasses' cars we over the line for several miles. Did the driving rules change and I wasn't notified?

I get to see Rusty again in about 3 weeks! Stay tuned for more accounts of our misadventures.

Labels:

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I can't TELL you how glad I am that you enjoyed our ride on the track!! It really was awesome...what a thrill!

It's cool to hear you talk about your trip here so positively. Having you here for a few days was like a dream come true!

Can't wait to see you again in a few weeks! WOOHOO!

12/01/2006 8:46 PM  
Blogger Jenny G said...

I'm sure it was so awesome for you! It would be like if I got to skate in a hockey rink, but moreso since you love NASCAR so much.

12/01/2006 10:04 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home