Saturday, November 18, 2006

Guilty Pleasure Saturday #4

Cheryl Lynn "Got to Be Real." Sorry, B, no 80s hair metal this week!





I never had a second thought about this song until I was watching Season 4 of Sex and the City and the episode The Real Me came on. Carrie (played by Sarah Jessica Parker) is in a fashion show comprised of models and "real people" from New York. She comes out in her glittery underwear and blue coat, strutting down the catwalk to this song, when she falls flat on her face. I can't stand Carrie more of the time, but the moment when she gets up is so triumphant. It struck a chord with me, especially considering some things that were going on in my life at the time, and even though this song has nothing to do with overcoming hardship, that's what I choose to have it mean for me.

Labels:

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I couldn't have told you who sang that song to save my life! I think we need to have a discussion about your story behind liking this song...mainly just because I don't think I know it! :)

11/19/2006 2:26 PM  
Blogger B. said...

I love the people on the floor gettin'jiggy wit it.

11/19/2006 3:17 PM  
Blogger Caroline said...

Ha, that was a great episode. I liked at the end when Carrie is narrating and she says "because when real people fall down, they get right back up again."

Hearing that always made me feel better when something would go wrong in my life.

11/19/2006 8:14 PM  
Blogger Jenny G said...

Rust: Neither could I till I looked it up.

B: Ahhh, the 70s.

Caro: I know! Wasn't that such a good episode? It's one of my favorites.

11/20/2006 8:57 AM  
Blogger pog mo thoin said...

Cheryl Lynn's Got to be Real is one of the best sucky/great songs ever! Good call!

11/23/2006 7:09 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home