Sunday, August 14, 2005

Music

I've been doing some thinking about music after reading some music-related message boards. There are a bunch of bands that I loathe, but I like some of their songs. For example, I hate the Rolling Stones with the fire of 1,000 suns and think Mick Jagger is the ugliest mo-fo in the world, but I do like "Jumping Jack Flash." Cher needs to be evicted from the earth, but I like a couple songs from her Heart of Stone album. I don't like Van Halen, but I love "Why Can't This Be Love," especially the little "woo!" part (but I want to plug my ears at the lyric, "Only time will tell if we'll stand the test of time.") I think Dave Matthews Band is one of the worst things to ever happen to music, but I like "American Baby."

I'm trying to think of songs I hate from my big 3 (The Cure, Depeche Mode, and Pink Floyd), but I can't think of any. There are some I think are overplayed *coughPersonalJesuscough*, but not that I hate.

I would have to sit here all day to discuss all the bands I like that no one else in the world does, like Air Supply and Styx; as well as all the horrendous songs I like.

Conversely, there are a bunch of bands/groups/artists that everyone except me seems to love, at least according to the Billboard charts and what I hear people talking about: Dave Matthews Band, Rolling Stones, Black Eyed Peas, Pearl Jam (sorry MR!), Nelly, Beyonce, John Mayer, Elvis Presley, The Dixie Chicks, most modern rock (Linkin Park, etc.), Kelly Clarkson, and so on and so forth.

Right now I actually like two "new" bands: Coldplay and The Killers. I haven't liked a new band since the 90s. And I might even buy their albums! I think the last album I bought was Depeche Mode's latest.

I'm in no place to discuss music though, as I am listening to "Girlfriend" by N Sync as I type this :-/.

7 Comments:

Blogger katiedid said...

I'd prefer having to listen to Personal Jesus overmuch than the DM song that gets played so much here that I now hate it with a deep passion: People Are People. It's as if Portland is in its own plane of reality where the rest of DM's catalog does not actually exist. People Are People over and over and over and over and over and over and... GAH!

Have you listened to Ted Leo? Please listen to his band, they're wonderful, though not quite as slick as Coldplay or The Killers. And I bet you might like stuff from this one NZ band, Betchadupa. Lemme know if you want to take a listen, I'll send you an mp3 or wav file of a couple of my faves to hear.

8/14/2005 8:54 PM  
Blogger Jenny G said...

They always play People are People during 80s weekends or hours on the radio here. I always think to myself, "Of all the DM songs from the 80s..." I've never listened to him; I'd love to hear it if you coudl send me an mp3.

8/15/2005 6:11 PM  
Blogger Meadow said...

I like Depeche Mode, Air Supply *and* David Matthews. ;)

8/16/2005 10:21 AM  
Blogger Jenny G said...

You have good taste...for the most part :-P

8/16/2005 3:16 PM  
Blogger Meadow said...

Haha! That was a good one. :)

8/16/2005 5:47 PM  
Blogger katiedid said...

I'll convert some files and upload them to yousendit for you later on, then, cool! I seem to be a bit scattered this week, and have had some stuff that's keeping me busier than I thought they would, but I'll get around to it sooner or later, I promise.

8/17/2005 10:23 PM  
Blogger Jenny G said...

Cool :-) I'm looking forward to it.

8/18/2005 10:56 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home