Wednesday, August 10, 2005

Reviews

I watched a three movies with varying levels of quality over the weekend. Here are my reviews.

Fight Club - This is one of those movies that, if you admit you haven't seen it, elicits a, "Oh my God! You haven't seen (insert name of movie)!? You have to see it!" I was a little hesitant to watch it because I could care less about fighting. Luckily this movie had substance. I'm not sure that this movie is as clever as it thinks it is, but if I have to read one more epinions review containing the phrases "This movie was boring" or "I don't like action movies," I'm going to scream. I can totally understand thinking this movie is about fighting before you've seen it (because I did), but not after. I won't give too much away, but I want to say that the movie's ideal for society, like Communism, looks good on paper, but doesn't play out too well in real life. Bonus points to this movie because of Ed Norton. I've loved him since I watched American History X (Oh my God! You haven't seen American History X?! You have to see it!).

Better Off Dead - As I said before, you would be Better Off Dead than having watched this movie. I love 80s teen movies, and I still thought this was horrible. I was beginning to question my John Cusack love, but then I read that he walked out of the screening of this movie in anger, so I felt a little better.

Serendipity - I don't know why I continue to subject myself to romantic comedies because I only rate them slightly higher than sci fi. This movie sucked; there's nothing else to say about it.

8 Comments:

Blogger Meadow said...

Thanks for the reviews. I'll have to check these out.

8/10/2005 12:43 PM  
Blogger N.F. said...

Wait, who's in Serendipity again? It's not Cusack, right?

8/10/2005 6:07 PM  
Blogger Jenny G said...

Thanks Joe, if you're not a spam commenter!

goddess - don't check out Better Off Dead!

feather - yeah, it's John Cusack, Kate Beckinsdale (sp?), Jeremy Priven, and Molly Shannon

8/10/2005 6:44 PM  
Blogger j said...

Hey--

I'm reading your blog from the library in my home town... sad, in a way.

I'm assuming--you must have--you've seen "The Sure Thing" which I think maybe was John Cusack's first lead role.

I quite liked that movie back in the 80s, as heavily preachy as the whole resolution was...

j.

8/10/2005 10:09 PM  
Blogger Berkeley G. said...

Awww...man, be nicer to Serendipity. For a while there a few years back it was one of my absolute favortie movies, and I've been to the ice cream/restaurant Serendipity that the movie is partially named for and where a scene or two is filmed. Obviously, it was predictable, but you gotta love it, I thought.

8/10/2005 11:09 PM  
Blogger katiedid said...

Fight Club is quite excellent, and I'd agree a lot of that has to do with the acting. I won't get into the book, since... well, old Chuck is one of Portland's sons we like to acclaim and revile.

I have skipped both the other movies you mention, due to the fact that Cusack is not a big enough draw for me to sit through drivel like that. But I guess I certainly have done so for other actors before, so I understand.

8/11/2005 1:58 AM  
Blogger Urban Chick said...

serendipity: such a big fat waste of the lovely mr cusack

8/11/2005 3:09 PM  
Blogger Jenny G said...

J: It's not so sad because I understand you're doing it to escape Canadian Idol, and I know how much you hate that :-). I'm going through all of JC's movies except the ones about war or politics.

berkeley: I just wasn't feeling it. I didn't realize Serendipity was a real ice cream parlor. I may have to go there to breathe in the same air JC breathed! :-)

katie: I was thinking of checking out the book, but I've already broken my rule of reading the book before I see the movie.

urban: I agree!

8/11/2005 6:10 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home