Wednesday, October 29, 2008

Saying Good-Bye to an Old Friend

Not too long ago, Rusty asked me what it's like to quit smoking. There are good points and bad points:

Good

Saving money!
My house doesn't smell (as much--Chris still smokes)
I'm so much more productive now that my time isn't dictated by how long it takes me to finish a cigarette
I no longer hack up a lung like an old man after I laugh too hard
My lungs don't hurt in the morning anymore
I'm less likely to die of lung cancer
I feel good about myself for having the willpower to quit my 11 year 1-2 pack a day habit cold turkey

Bad

Not having something to do to fill up empty time
Not getting that buzz that you still get every once in a while
Being on edge
The fights that go on in my head when I want to run to the store to get a pack
The constant craving that feels like a boulder in the pit of my stomach
Obsessively thinking about smoking

Next Wednesday night I'm going to a bar, so that will be the ultimate test (unless it's one of the bars affected by the smoking ban--I'm not sure!)

Labels:

7 Comments:

Blogger StickyKeys said...

Good luck Jenny!

Here's an article on the non-smoking experience by a former smoker that you might enjoy. I found it charming yet very real.

http://www.pamie.com/archives/dan/wheeeeeeeeeeeee.html

10/29/2008 8:13 PM  
Blogger Jenny G said...

That article is perfect. I think I'm going to frame it.

10/29/2008 9:59 PM  
Blogger Rusty said...

You're amazing, Jen.

Love you!

10/29/2008 10:19 PM  
Blogger A.S.S. said...

I quit 4 years ago and I still hate it. I didn't have the balls to go cold turkey though. I'm totally impressed. I was shooting the nicotine nasal spray up my nose like a coke fiend. You want to talk about a buzz?....Wowzers!

10/30/2008 1:09 PM  
Blogger March2theSea said...

keep up the good work! I am rooting for you!

10/30/2008 4:17 PM  
Blogger B. said...

I've been meaning to ask how it's been going. Glad you're still smoke free!

10/31/2008 8:17 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great job!

11/04/2008 11:28 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home