Monday, October 10, 2005

Infomercials

I totally want the Magic Bullet. I realize there's no way in hell it works the way it does on TV, but it looks awesome. The infomercial is cheesy though (as if they all aren't). Chris's and my favorite infomercial is for the Shark Vac. This guy kicks over a bowl of dog food and fakely goes, "Whoops!" And the two hosts say each other's names every sentence.

"Mary, have I told you how much I love the Shark Vac?"
"No, Steve, you haven't!"
"Well, Mary, I love it more than I love my children."
"Gee, Steve, that's great!"
"Yes it is, Mary! Whoops! I accidentally knocked over this bowl of dog food, Mary!"

I had the TV on after the Magic Bullet infomercial and was at the dining room table doing some stuff when I heard the guy on the next infomercial saying, "I saw how big it was and I couldn't believe that something that big could come out of a baby so small! It was bigger than mine, relative to our sizes!" I thought to myself, "Please don't let them be talking about poo." They were. They kept discussing how much fecal matter we all have stuck in our bowels. I changed the channel (to another Magic Bullet infomercial, incidently).

There are so many awesome infomercial things. If I bought everything I wanted, I would be broke. I don't want the Magic Enema or whatever the hell those people were advertising.

3 Comments:

Blogger katiedid said...

HA! You caught the tail end of the Dual Action Cleanser informercial! It's awesome, unspeakably awesome. My husband, knowing my love of infomercials, woke me up at 4am to watch it. "You HAVE to see this. NOW." And I have to say, it was so worth it. It's a diruetic that is being sold as a detoxifier for your colon. Your. whole. life. will.change. if you use this product according to the infomercial.

Otherwise, my sister and I have a lot of fun watching the SMC ones, and I have been known to sit and enjoy the Gunthy-Renker ones for the tv shows like Carson, Muppets, Dean Martin, etc. I am tempted by those, but then reason and logic kick in thankfully.

10/10/2005 3:32 PM  
Blogger j said...

A little over a year ago I was in metrotown mall in Vancouver and I saw something I hadn't seen before--maybe they're common elsewhere--the "As Seen on TV" store. What a pile of weird strange and sometimes crapulent little gimmicks.

It's where the products you see in the infomercials now go to die an about 5 years.

10/10/2005 3:53 PM  
Blogger Jenny G said...

Katie: Dual Action Cleanser does NOT sound like something to clean your colon. And is it really good advertising to talk about how much fecal matter they found in corpses? I absolutely LOVE the Time Life infomercials for the CDs of 70s music. The only thing I bought from an infomercial is Proactiv, and it works.

J: Hee! We have As Seen on TV stores around here. There are permanent ones and ones that go up mostly at Xmas.

10/10/2005 9:14 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home