Sunday, June 12, 2005

Netflix Reviews for June 11-12

7 Up/Seven Plus Seven - This is a documentary that follows 14 British children from age 7 (1964) to the present (it is my understanding that 49 Up has been taped/is being taped this year). The first DVD contains two films, thus showing the children at ages 7 and 14. I absolutely loved these documentaries! Everyone who knows me knows that I love British things, and this is no exception. I moved the other films in the series up to the top of my queue, because I want to watch the rest of them as soon as possible. As awkward as it is to watch uncomfortable 14-year-olds be interviewed on camera, it was interesting to see the changes (or lack thereof) that they have made. For me, I was most intrigued by three boys in particular. In 7 Up, these boys were privileged, upper-crust, somewhat snobby boys who discussed which financial papers they read to get their stock quotes (hee!). The conversation is dominated by two of the boys. In Seven Plus Seven, the three of them are together again. Two of them are the same, while the one who did not have much to say (and still doesn't) looks obviously annoyed at what his former friends have to say about class, race, and money. The cutest parts were when one of the children said the Beatles were mad because of their haircuts and music, and when one of the boys said he didn't want to marry because his wife might make him greens and he hates greens. A must-see for anyone who is interested in sociology. Only 4 1/2 stars due to the amount of repetition (especially the 7 Up footage in Seven Plus Seven), but I can't wait to watch the rest, even though I already know what happened to all of them (I can't resist spoilers!).

Hannah and Her Sisters - Netflix has decided that it hates my boyfriend, as it keeps ignoring his Pete and Pete DVDs. It sent us this instead. I really liked Woody Allen as a senior in high school, ever since we watched Crimes and Misdemeanors in Philosophy class. I liked Annie Hall as well. This movie just didn't do it for me; I had trouble paying attention. In fact, it's still playing as I type this. I like character-driven movies when I'm in the right mood; I guess I'm just not in that place right now. One star.

2 Comments:

Blogger katiedid said...

Hannah left me cold as well. While watching it I couldn't help but think of the way he treated Mia Farrow in real life, so I had absolutely no interest in the ditherings of his character.

Bananas is still my favorite Woody Allen movie ever, but I do have a bit of fondness for Love and Death. Now that I think of it, I seem to have seen quite a bit of his work. What's Up Tigerlily is kind of boringish, but boy did it inspire some people - Mystery Science Theater comes to mind.

6/13/2005 6:31 PM  
Blogger Jenny G said...

Yes, it was sort of weird seeing them playing a couple knowing what was going on in their personal lives. I've never seen any of those other movies you mention - I think I'm going to take a break from Woody Allen for a while.

6/15/2005 8:15 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home