Friday, August 18, 2006

Half Baked

I decided that I am going to learn how to bake this fall/winter. I love cooking, but baking? Not so much. I hate measuring and when I cook the only thing I measure is rice. To me, making a pie is buying a store bought crust and putting some instant pudding and cool whip in it. I made blondies one time and my friend's brother described them as "hard tack with taste." I bought a jelly roll pan, so the first thing I'm going to do is a pumpkin roll. Mmmmm...pumpkin roll... I also want to make a cake from scratch, so I think I'll start with my grandma's recipe for red velvet cake. After that, who knows? Maybe you'll see me on Food Network challenge with the Scott guy who's also on Hell's Kitchen. Mmmmm...Scott...

Have my Office fan readers been watching the webisodes this summer? If you haven't seen them already you can find them
here. I'm not totally crazy about them. I think it's because I don't feel that Angela, Oscar, and Kevin can hold an episode by themselves, not even a 4-minute one. They're probably some of my least-favorite secondary characters. If they had Creed, Stanley, and Toby I'd be all about that.

Speaking of the Office, I preordered my season 2 DVD from Amazon the other day! I also ordered Wayne's World and some Cure CDs. I don't usually spend money on myself but I figured I deserved it.

I was watching The Price is Right yesterday and Bob Barker is really getting mean and passive aggressive in his old age! Maybe he always has been and I never noticed. Yesterday there was a college freshman on and when Bob asked him what he wanted to be he said president. Yes, this guy was a complete tool, as are most college freshmen (or college students in general), but Bob was merciless to this guy the whole time, making little jabs about how the president should know things that this guy didn't (I had to give Bob a pass when he made fun of him for saying a Ford costs $78,000. Seriously, dude? If I were going to be on TPIR I would study the prices of everything from Preparation H to RVs). Then, bless his heart, the guy didn't get the wheel the whole way around. A middle-aged woman tripped and Bob kept making snide comments about it. When she went up to spin the wheel he said, "Make sure you don't trip!" Geez, Bob!


Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Did you see the promos for Celebrity Duets? The end is nigh. I might tune in momentarily to see if Alfonso Ribero or whatever the hell his name is does the Carlton Banks dance.

Now, thanks to that video, I have "It's Not Unusual" in my head and the only words I know are, "It's not unusual to be loved by anyone." Have a great weekend!

8 Comments:

Blogger pog mo thoin said...

Jenny - I am with you with the measuring but I bake and even though it is a pain, it gets a bit easier. I find the order in which you add ingredients is really important in baking - more so then cooking.

Oh and Barker - yeah, he is probably more like the character he plays in that hockey/golf movie.

8/18/2006 6:04 PM  
Blogger Rusty said...

I noticed as well that Bob has become a real asshat in his really old age (he hit regular old age in about 1977, so now he's "really" old).

Celebrity Duets? Good Lord. You know that if I was still in York, I'd be coming over to watch that with you. Perhaps we'll have to have a teleconference at that time?

I love the Carlton Banks dance.

The Office! HEE! I can't wait.

8/18/2006 6:21 PM  
Blogger Rusty said...

Well, that pumpkin roll is my recipe, and it's one of my specialties. The filling cream is SO delicious, I can just eat that by itself. Mmmmmmm. Hope it turns out for you, sweetie!

8/18/2006 9:28 PM  
Blogger Jenny G said...

Pog: Then I'm screwed because I know absolutely no baking secrets and tips. You're right, he's probably a mean, dirty old man. Remember when he was accused of sexually harrassing his Beauties?

Rusty: I know! When is he going to die? He's immortal. I think Celebrity Duets may even be too crappy for us to watch.

Autumn: Sorry! :) I tried to make fudge once. The taste was ok, but it was just a bunch of crumbs.

Funky: I will. Believe me, my cake will look nothing like yours.

8/20/2006 12:38 PM  
Blogger Tiny Tones said...

My advice is to start with something simple like my salt and pepper layer cake. It's dead easy. Simply lay down one layer of salt. Over that, lay down one layer of pepper. Add a second layer of salt. Add a second layer of pepper. Drizzle with tap water. Voila! Blog on!

8/20/2006 12:56 PM  
Blogger Meadow said...

There is a stage people hit in old age when they just start saying any damn thing that comes to mind.

I can't wait till I get that old. LOL

8/20/2006 10:35 PM  
Blogger Jenny G said...

Tiny - I think I could handle that.

Renee - True, true. I'm sort of already like that :)

8/21/2006 10:07 AM  
Blogger Jenny G said...

Your cakes in general are gorgeous though. I tried to make a layer cake with boxed cake mix and a can of icing (shudder) and the cake pieces crumbled and messed up the icing and the top slid off the bottom. Not good eats!

I have my grandmother's red velvet, but I'm up for tying another. My favorite part is the icing.

8/22/2006 7:23 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home