Tuesday, January 24, 2006

Baby's Named a Bad, Bad Thing

Rusty and I like to frequent Baby's Named a Bad, Bad Thing, a website devoted to the horrendous names parents give their children. Being named Jennifer during a year when Jennifer was the most popular name, I personally don't understand the need to give one's children wacky! unique! names. I think it would be a lot more traumatic and/or annoying to have people constantly screw up your name (and I know this because of my last name) than to have the same name as a couple of other people. I don't think it stifles one's individuality to have the same name as a couple other people. I was not like most of the other Jennifers I knew; we didn't become Children of the Corn-like clones because we happened to have the same name. I suppose it's the teachers who suffer the most. Not only do they have to remember all the children's names, but they also have to remember that one child is Brittney, one is Britny, and one is Brrrii'tennnae.

*EDITED*

6 Comments:

Blogger Dim said...

Isn't "Da Quill" what rappers in colonial times used to write their rhymes?

- D.

1/24/2006 10:09 AM  
Blogger Caroline said...

Oh my godness that is funny. My friend Lauren is a teacher and she has a student named DeVour. I thought that was pretty bad. Steven's cousin and his wife had a baby last month and they named him George. I was very happy that they gave him a normal name. :-)

People screw up my name all of the time, and spell my last name wrong all of time.

1/24/2006 10:56 AM  
Blogger Meadow said...

Ahaha. I knew a lady who had (I think) four kids when she got pregnant again. She was determined not to have any more children so she named her fifth child ... get this ... DeLast. She really did that to her son. And guess what? She got pregnant again.

1/24/2006 11:57 AM  
Blogger Rusty said...

Jenny, did you post that on the forum? I'm a Madycynne member there (130-some posts) and I go to the Sightings section every day. Do you want me to post it for you? :)

I'm sorry, though, Da Quill is by far not the worst name I've never seen. Spend a few days in the Sightings forum and you'll discover far worse.

goddess - DeLast?! Sheesh! That's awful!

1/24/2006 5:03 PM  
Blogger Jenny G said...

LOL, Dim. I was thinking more of a long "A," but your way would work too.

Caroline: DeVour?? Geez. I wonder if his parents know what that means. I hope he doesn't get fat!

Goddess: That's horrible as well. What did she name her youngest? Oops?

Rusty: See my retraction above.

1/25/2006 2:01 PM  
Blogger Jenny G said...

Why the hell would a parent do that to his/her child?!

1/26/2006 2:46 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home