Wednesday, December 21, 2005

Xmas Has Begun

"Things get damaged/Things get broken/I thought we'd manage/But words left unspoken/Left us so brittle/There was so little left to give"--Depeche Mode, "Precious"

I got a candle holder of Santa sitting on a chimney and Depeche Mode's Playing the Angel today from my friend at work. The CD played a couple times today, but I couldn't listen to it very loud because I wasn't sure how work safe it was. Not that DM is bad, but you never know. The back of the CD says, "Pain and suffering in various tempos," so you know it's right up my alley.

From Rusty I got a Boyd's Bear named Jennifer, one of those things you put by your sink with a scrubber in it in the shape of a chili pepper, and a dip/tortilla chip holder with a chili pepper handle. I got some Bath and Body Works stuff and lottery tickets from my supervisor and I won a free ticket. I got another lottery ticket from another co-worker (didn't win, of course), $5 from one, and a box of chocolates from which I have already eaten an embarrassing amount from another.

This morning on my way to work, 3 cops, 1 marked and 2 unmarked, had a guy pulled over, but he was pulled over haphazardly (perpendicular to the road instead of parallel) and they were searching his car. Of course we had to slam on our brakes and go 35 MPH on the highway to rubber neck.

A few co-workers and I went out for lunch today and were charged an 18% gratuity for getting separate checks. Our waitress wasn't worth 18%. One of the co-workers was mad, so she called the restaurant, and the owner offered to fire her, which makes me glad as hell I don't work there, but did say that he would give us our 3% back. I'm not one to make a fuss, but sometimes doing so gets you what you want.

*Update: Ummm...some guy from the York Newspaper Company called to see if I was getting satisfactory service and I said yes, and then he thanked me, wished me a happy holiday, and said, "Bye, baby." That's a new one...

4 Comments:

Blogger N.F. said...

I too am very picky with my tips. If the service is great, or even good, I'll take care of them...in the tip. But, if they suck at their job, then I will only tip them about a buck and leave them a note and tell them that if in the future they want a fatter tip, they need to be nicer.

AND--I don't know how managers put up with this - YOU DON'T say to a cusomter, "Do you need change?" You tell them, "I'll be BACK with your change" and then give them the option/courtesy to say, "Oh no, it's all for you" or whatever.

I'm sorry to go off on your comments like this, but at Red Robin tonight the waitress said that to me and I about went through the roof. And, she asked us how we were doing no less then 5 times, right in a row practically! AAAAAARGH!!

12/22/2005 12:38 AM  
Blogger Jenny G said...

One night my bf and I were at a steak house, and my bf paid with a $100 bill on a $30 or so check. The waiter, who was actually pretty good, asked us if we needed change. I told him that he was good, but he wasn't THAT good.

12/22/2005 8:20 AM  
Blogger Meadow said...

Girl, your life ... lol You have the most interesting experiences.

Random thoughts ...

I *love* Depeche Mode. I was thinking about them just the other day and wondering if they still record. I haven't heard anything new from them since Personal Jesus. But that's probably right around the time I stopped listening to the radio so go figure...

I just got a new position at the company I work for - literally yesterday and my new boss gave me a Starbucks gift card. I thought that was the sweetest thing. It was my first day working for him.

I've been getting the sneaking suspicion (sp?) that I'm being followed.

Offered to fire her? Jeesh ... And at Christmas no less.

Merry Christmas!

12/22/2005 9:00 AM  
Blogger Jenny G said...

goddess: Yes I do, although you could substitute the word interesting for annoying, idiotic, or rage-inducing. DM has had a couple albums out since Violator, which Personal Jesus is on. I would defintely recommend Playing the Angel. I'm working on a review of it now, for the blog although I'm definitely not a good reviewer. Congrats on your new position! I hope you like it.

12/23/2005 8:11 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home