Monday, October 16, 2006

Weekend Update

On Friday I left from work to go to my friend's house. She lives right outside of Allentown, so I was pretty close to Scranton. I didn't see Jim though :(. We had a glass of wine and then walked around the extremely cute town. They have ordinances that don't allow chains within the town limits so they had a lot of neat restaurants and shops. After that we went to what my friend called a dive bar (that place was like a tie-required place compared to some of the dives I've frequented). I had an excellent meal and even found a beer that I like besides Corona. Of course I have no idea what it's called, but it was raspberry flavored. My friend was sick with a cold and I had a raging headache after my wine, the raspberry beer, a Coronoa, and a Midori sour, so we went home and watched 2 episodes of Entourage before going to bed. It was decent and it gave me a new TV boyfriend, Adrian Grenier (as if I need another one). I had seen him in The Devil Wears Prada, but he looks hotter in Entourage for some reason.

After doing a little bit of shopping Saturday morning, I came home, cleaned up Chris's mess (which wasn't as bad as I expected--thanks!), did laundry, went grocery shopping, then watched Runaway Jury. I wanted to read the book first, but Netflix didn't take that into consideration when it sent me a movie that wasn't on the top of my queue. It was pretty good and I got to see John Cusack. I understand it's a lot different than the book. After dinner I finally finished reading John Irving's the 158-Pound Marriage. It wasn't as good as Garp, but the thing that really bugged me were all the punctuation errors. There was an apostrophe used to make a word plural! How is that acceptable in a novel with editors? I also wonder how it's acceptable to write tripe like The Da Vinci Code and make millions of dollars, but that's another post.

Yesterday I did a bunch of cooking for the week ahead, did a lot of loads of laundry, and did some stuff outside to prepare for the winter like putting the hose away and finally unpotting the cilantro that I planted on Memorial Day weekend that never grew past 1 inch. Chris and I watched Night of Too Many Stars on Comedy Central. It was a benefit for Autism starring people I love like Jon Stewart, Steve Carell, Stephen Colbert, Jerry Seinfeld, Ricky Gervais, Will Arnet, David Cross, Paul Rudd, Oscar Nunez, and Triumph the Insult Comic Dog as well as some people I had to leave the room for like Martin Short and Jimmy Fallon. "What are you lauging at, boy? If you say Jimmy Fallon, I'll know you're lying!" - Homer Simpson. The highlights of the show for me were Jerry's bit, Ricky Gervais's quote at the end of his set ("Now Steve Carell will come out and do this same bit slightly better and make more money."), Chris Meloni, who came out in an American flag-themed top hat and carrying a puppet, being told he wasn't allowed to perform because he was one star too many ("Stephen Colbert told me you'd do me like this!"), and Triumph's bit. He sang about celebrities with a group of African guys (think of the old Life Savers commercials).

I'm off today because I had some days I needed to use by the end of the year. I'm going to go get some new clothes, which I desperately need. I hope everyone had a good weekend and have fun working today, suckers! :)

Labels:

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

It's like modern art. Once you're established, you get to do whatever you want. Look at William Faulkner; his grammar wouldn't get him past the sixth grade.

In Brown's case, I think he found a way to mask lousy writing in a controversial topic, so no one noticed.

10/16/2006 2:23 PM  
Blogger EnnuiHerself said...

Is this, by any chance, what you had?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Framboise

It's a raspberry flavored beer that tastes absolutely nothing like beer . . . which is why I love it!

10/16/2006 2:55 PM  
Blogger Jenny G said...

Saule: That sounds about right. It's a shame about Da Vinci because the topic was interesting. I'm just not one of those people who needs a CLIFF HANGER!!!! at the end of every chapter, especially one that is cleared up within the first 3 paragrahps of the next chapter.

Ennui: That wasn't it, but it sounds similar. I think what I had had the word dog in the name.

10/16/2006 4:43 PM  
Blogger Steve H said...

have you ever read 'a prayer for owne meany' or 'the hotel new hampshire'?

10/17/2006 7:41 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dammit! I've been checking here every friggin' day, and all that showed up was the post you did last Friday. FINALLY I refreshed, and all these posts showed up! SHEESH!

I'm glad you had fun in Allentown. You're such a two-beer queer.

10/18/2006 6:16 PM  
Blogger Jenny G said...

Hot: I have Hotel but I haven't read it yet. The used book store didn't have Prayer, but it's on my list of must reads.

Rusty: What the hell is up with blogger? I know I am! I rarely drink more than 1 glass of wine at a time.

10/19/2006 9:31 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home